Gold Supporter
Sep 28, 2019
St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I try to keep my FC a little bit above the FC/CYA chart recommendations just to try to avoid algae issues and to help keep things balanced if I am unable to test for a day or two.

What I have noticed recently is that for some reason, there is a fair amount of dead algae (or it could be dust/dirt?) just laying on all of the non-vertical surfaces. When I brush, it creates a brownish cloud, which stays suspended for quite some time. I run my pump continuously during and after brushing to filter things, but I am wondering: Do I actually have an algae outbreak? Or is the FC level good enough to be killing the algae and keeping things safe. The water is crystal clear otherwise. Thanks in advance for the guidance!

FC: 10 (after adding LC a little bit ago, it had fallen to 6 over the past 2 days)
CC=0.5 today, past few days it's been 0
CYA=60
pH=7.6
TA=90

Your FC level looks strong, and if you aren't experiencing a large or unusual FC drop, I suspect it's just dust or something else settling. I get a lot of brown sediment over the course of a couple days, especially if it's windy. You could always run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure.

To put your mind at ease do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. When skirting minimum you run the risk of falling below min in less circulated areas so something could have started growing even though your testing never showed below min.
Alternatively u could proceed to SLAM Process & see if said debris is affected.

Reactions: JohnGn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.