grwx4dad

Apr 29, 2024
amory, ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So i think i had mustard algea last year. Year before i thought sand was getting into the pool. So i empties the samd and check the filter. All good and filled with new sand. End of last year started to battle again. The “sand” would turn to cliud so mistard algea. Treated. Vacuumed. Pool water clear. Until i sweep and it rolls up white clouds. I vacuum to waste back to back days. Few days its back. Please help. Chemical tests all in check except harsness is low @57. Use floculant twice and vacuumed debris to waste. I dont know what to do next.

Welcome to TFP.

Can your pool pass a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Most people who think they have mustard algae don’t have it.

I’m not sure what test strips I have. But I will try this. I do know I shocked it Saturday with 3 12ounce scoops and yesterday chlorine was low. So I felt something is still in there. How do I properly SLAM it? I use Leslie’s Powerpowder plus @73% calcium hypochlorite. Do I need something different to SLAM it?

I’m not sure what test strips I have. But I will try this. I do know I shocked it Saturday with 3 12ounce scoops and yesterday chlorine was low. So I felt something is still in there. How do I properly SLAM it? I use Leslie’s Powerpowder plus @73% calcium hypochlorite. Do I need something different to SLAM it?

Thank you all for your help and support. I am waiting on my test kit to come in. I do have a question when I see “bleach” mentioned. Is there a particular kind or can I use the Great Value jugs at Walmart? I ask because I see is say liquid bleach. My kit is suppose to come in Thursday so hopefully I can give an update Friday morning. Thank you all again

Is there a particular kind or can I use the Great Value jugs at Walmart?
Household bleach is weaker for a similar price. No biggie in a pinch but over and over it adds up.

You want pool essentials chlorinating liquid from the pool aisle at Walmart instead. It 10% compared to the up to 6% other ones. Household bleaches often have polymers added like scents and splashless or XYZ technology to fight stains.

Also, meet my buddy @Mdragger88. She might have some local places that are better than WM.
My kit is suppose to come in Thursday
Which one ?

Thank you all for your help and support. I am waiting on my test kit to come in. I do have a question when I see “bleach” mentioned. Is there a particular kind or can I use the Great Value jugs at Walmart? I ask because I see is say liquid bleach. My kit is suppose to come in Thursday so hopefully I can give an update Friday morning. Thank you all again
@Leebo mentioned he is using this bleach from Walmart that is 7% chlorine.

Great thanks. Here is the kit I got. Open to any suggestions moving forward as well. Taylor K-1515-A from Amazon. If there is a recommended overall larger kit for testing most all I need vs using strips.

Attachments

• IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 6
Great thanks. Here is the kit I got. Open to any suggestions moving forward as well. Taylor K-1515-A from Amazon. If there is a recommended overall larger kit for testing most all I need vs using strips.
You really need the Taylor K-2006C or TFT Test Kits to follow TFP methods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Return the k1515, which is the right FC component, but comes in the complete kits.

Does the k1515 have the same reagents? I can just keep it if so
Yes. Its the same thing in a different box and it's really smart to keep. Newbs and those with swamps test alot more at first and blow through the regular kit supplies.

The TFtestkit site has a slam option i always recommend which doubles the FC tests, which is more or less what you did.
Thanks for the help
We're here around the clock if you need. :)

So if I was there with my test kit, I'd run some tests and have a pretty quick picture of what was going on.

You running the same tests as us is like we're there with you, and we know what to do with what that particular kit says. Hang tight until it comes. Keep chlorine in there so it doesn't get worse.

Familiarize yourself with PoolMath in the meantime. If you buy the premium version for $8/year, you can save every last test and we can see them too. It's peanuts for what it can do for you when we can see where it went south, or prevent it from going south in the first place. (Providing we have a reason to look it over, of course, we aren't psychic :ROFLMAO:)

With a CYA of 70 and CC of 1 with FC of 2.8 you likely have algae. Your FC is low for your CYA.

We round up so your CYA is 70.

If you have liquid chlorine you should raise your FC to 8 for the OCLT. Your FC target for CYA 70 should be 8-10 with a minimum of 5.

On the FAS/DPD FC test use a sample size of 10ml and multiply the drops by 0.5. You don;t need better precision then that and it saves a lot of reagent over the season.

yes I have liquid. I wondered if the calcium hypochlorite is what is leaving the dust on the bottom. I’ll start using the liquid. It seems about 4 ppm per jug? Seem Right to anyone else? Yep I read that about the FC and CYA levels. I was using the strips so I maintained it way too low. Is it worth me draining the pool to lower the CYA? Hoping swapping to liquid will help lower it over time. Will it evaporate or just go down as I backwash? I keep using the three 3” pucks a week too right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support