Clear "green" water - Am I doing enough?

Apr 27, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hi all - I've been shocking my pool for about a week now, it started out very swamp green (was winterized for 5 months) and it's cleared up to be transparent to where I can clearly see the bottom main drain - about 6 feet down. It's been improving, however the last few days I haven't noticed much change - the water is clear, but still green. I can't seem to get the green color to disappear. I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient or if I'm doing something incorrectly. I've read through Pool School and shocking to levels based on my CYA, etc... I'm using cal-hypo granular to shock. Last night my FC was 17 with CC at 2. This morning the FC was at 10 and CC at 1.

Should I just continue the shock process until the green color goes away? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

pH 7.2
CH 210
CYA 30
TA 110
No copper or Iron detected
Phosphates 1500 (I've read in many threads this doesn't really matter when it comes to killing algae?)

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 151
If you are still losing 7 FC at night, you still have a ways to go. That pool doesn't look very clear yet. Make sure you are brushing like crazy and cleaning/backwashing your filter when the pressure rises too.

Is there any reason you are using Cal-hypo and not just bleach? Watch your CH levels if you are using cal hypo.

Thanks - using the cal hypo more for convenience, will bleach work much better? I've used bleach in the past, used to get the cheap store brand and was 7.86% chlorine, but now all i find is ~5% strength.

I'm using a Taylor kit, sorry, not sure exactly which one. Also have water tested at pool store as another reference.

I would use bleach as the cal-hypo is going to keep making your calcium levels rise. You can get regular 8.25% bleach at home depot or even your local grocery store. Keep the FC above 12 and don't let it drop below that until you fully pass the SLAM.

Stop adding the cal hypo. It is going to raise your cya levels. Do strictly liquid chlorine 8% or 10% bleach, which is sodium hypochlorite and will not raise your cya levels. My pool is currently at this stage green myself it's clear green. I've had three seasons of opening my pool Crystal Clear and 3 seasons of literally Blackwater. Thanks for the info on this form I've cleared it every time ranging from 2 weeks with black water, and clear green within 72 hours. Keep running the SLAM process. Try to get your combined chlorine to .5 or lower. OCLT test should be no more than 1-2 FC ppm loss in 24 hrs. Sometimes when I have clear green like that my filtration system can't get all the fine suspended particles on a cartridge filter of 20 micron. I recommend using triple filtration with a skimmer sock whatever you are pump filtration system is, and a Duda Diesel bag at 5 Micron or lower on the return jet. If you still cannot catch all the finally suspended green algae particles at 5 Micron then you probably need to flock it, let settle at bottom of floor and Vac to waste, and be done with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.