Hwmeador

May 8, 2022
Ft worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’m slowly exploring the pool equipment on my pool at the home we purchased. I’ve been using TFP method for several months only using liquid chlorine and Muriatic acid and all seems well. Looking closer at the equipment setup I see there is a Paramount Clear 03 ozonator installed as well as Nature 2 express cartridge.
So it looks like the ozonator is a UV ozone creation system as a purifier and then a mineral system. Documentation for both indicates that these systems should reduce chlorine usage but my experience does not currently show that. So are these things just snake oil? Should I turn off the UV ozone creator to save energy? Thoughts ? Guidance?

Yes. UV/Ozone systems are useless on an outdoor pool. Turn them off to save money and then eventually remove them. You also want nothing to do with mineral systems unless you want to seal plaster staining. Another expensive solution in search of a problem. Get rid of both eventually and convert to an SWG, you’ll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Thanks. I just went out this morning and unwired the Ozone from the power block so it is now disabled. Eventually I will remove the equipment but it is not hurting anything at the moment.

The mineral filter is a different animal. Will have to see if I can take the cartridge out and get the beads out so it will still seal up. Short of cutting it out and putting PVC back I’m going to try the remove and seal. The pool is essentially brand new, looks like the pool builder hit the original owners with the up sell.

That’s a very standard “sanitation package” in the Texas pool market - a lot of “low chlorine” marketing there. Builders push ozone/UV systems with minerals and puck feeders in order to avoid a lot of customer service calls. It works for a while and then the water chemistry and clarity starts to get really bad in year 2 or 3. At that point many people don’t feel like the pool builder is responsible to help so they shuttle on over to their local pool stores for even worse advice and even more money plucked out of their wallets. TFP eventually gets them a few years down the line after they are mentally and financially exhausted. We usually get them straightened out and on a good path. Count yourself lucky that you got to the problem so quickly. Follow the advice here and you’ll be a very happy pool owner while all your non-TFP friends will constantly complain about how expensive their pools are …

… and welcome to TFP 👋

Yep sounds about right. When I acquired this pool the CYA was high (150) and TA (200) was high. I’m guessing all they were using was trichlor pucks. Through a series of drain and refills I was able to get the CYA down to 70. Through generous usage of MA I’m now finally getting to ~100 TA . pH is now ~7.6 and I just dose with Liquid chlorine to hit the free chlorine targets. Only two chemicals I’m buying at MA and Chlorine… seems simple to me and so far the pool is clean and clear. Thanks to TFP. I have to thank my friend for the recommendation to TFP.

Thanks to TFP.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

And TFP is part of the Amazon Smile program so if you shop regularly on Amazon you can use AmazonSmile to donate to TFP. Every little bit helps us to keep the lights on and the electrons flowing …

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.