Brookeville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
So this is a follow-up to this old thread... here.

I've had intermittent E05 errors through the years, most of have cleared by waiting a bit. I had previously replaced the Fenwal a year or two ago and the control board last fall and that helped, but I would occasionally get E05. I couldn't get it fired up (same issue) last night to have the pool ready for swimming this morning, and after numerous attempts it wouldn't work, E05. Tried it again this morning and the same.

This morning, I finally took the "flame shield" off (the metal plate that covers the open flame), and long story short, I checked the burners, they looked good, so I replaced the igniter, put it together without the flame shield and once it glowed, the gas came on and it worked. Tried it repeatedly and it works.

A couple things:
1) I didn't test the old one igniter. I have an academic interest in whether it works, but not enough to put it back in.
2) The new igniter doesn't have the round metal guard with holes in; I purchased this one as a return from amazon for $20, it's a pentair part, it fits, and it works.
3) The metal guard is the trickiest part of the job. There are five screws, all will be very rusty, use PB Blaster and let it sit 30 minutes. Use a 1/4" socket with a 6" extension. Longer would be better, but that will work. You need to disconnect the wires from the igniter and the thing to the left pay attention to which wire goes where. Tilt the top of the guard forward, and you have to lever it out on the right hand side.
4) I observed the flames with the shield off and they all burned bright blue, so I think all is well with them

We'll see how it works. I have the pool warming up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
E05 is usually overheating or open SFS (Stack Flue Sensor).

If you're getting E05 before the heater starts, the stack flue sensor is probably bad or the wiring is compromised.

If you're getting E05 after the heater starts, it might be overheating or a bad stack flue sensor.

After you turn on the heater set to Pool, press and hold the pool button until the stack temperature reading appears.

So it's (or was) before the heater starts. I held down the Pool button for a good 20-30 seconds, and nothing appeared.

I need to see about the stack flue sensor (I have no idea where its at). I'll dig through the repair manual.

Once you press the Pool On button and the heater starts, press and hold the Pool On button until the stack flue temperature is displayed. If it shows 40 or 80, the stack flue sensor is probably bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.