Cleaning out pollen and surface dust from pool

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
I am noticing that sometimes, especially on sunny days, I see very tiny surface debris, which I cannot pick up with my regular net. It is just too small.
Not sure what it is. Could be pollen or dust from nearby construction, anything that settles on the surface.
Wonder how you folks deal with getting that cleaned without making it a chore.
During winder months,
I run my pump for 8 hours, 9a-5p,
- 9a-12p at 2750rpm
- 12p-5p at 2200rpm

Today, around 1p noticed a band of such fine dust on pool surface, near the shallow end and near deep end (coincidentally I have 1 skimmer in shallow, one in deep end).
Want to have good way to get rid of all that. I want my surface water to be clean.
Thank you for advice.

I get a lot of dust/pollen/leafs blown in all the time. Depending on the wind direction, the skimmer gets it or not. When I want the pool clean in a hurry before having a dip, I just use my brush to push the stuff towards the skimmer. 5 Minutes and the pool is clean.

I would do 2 things:
- Run the pump for longer. Currently anything that falls in the pool from 5pm to 9am is not getting skimmed. Since you have a variable speed pump, run it for as low as you can (just enough to keep the weir doors down on your skimmers, likely ~1200 rpms). That way you can continuously skim and keep the surface clean.

- Add skimmer socks that help capture some of that pollen before it gets to your pump/filter. I love mine in the summer when we have no leaves. Its amazing how much dust, sunscreen gunk, kid hair, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was doing some research and found some socks. Pulled the trigger on a set on Amazon.
What about nets. Are there sine very fine mesh nets that can pick this stuff up too, instead of waiting for skimmer to take it?

Yeah, I was doing some research and found some socks. Pulled the trigger on a set on Amazon.
What about nets. Are there sine very fine mesh nets that can pick this stuff up too, instead of waiting for skimmer to take it?

I guess a fine mesh net would be quite hard to move through the water, no idea if that exists.

Just give the pushing with a brush towards the skimmer a try that I described earlier, if you want to speed it up. Just create a gentle wave and the pollen will get straight into the skimmer. Much easier and faster than skimming the whole pool with a net.

My experience with skimmer socks is that they restrict water flow quite a lot. Following an advice from @Texas Splash, I am now using 1 gallon paint strainer bags - they work great.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.