Cleaning mold/mildew/grime off Kool Deck

squirk

Sep 9, 2016
Southeast Louisiana
Our pool was installed back in '13, with a light tan Kool Deck perimeter around it.

I've scrubbed the deck on a seasonal basis to keep it from getting slippery, but over time the little nooks and recessed areas of the Kool Deck stamping have collected a good amount of dirt, mold and mildew (I may have forgotten to do my last two semi-annual scrubs).

So I am now prepping the pool for warm weather, and I cannot seem to get the Kool Deck completely clean. If I use my pressure washer with the floor scrubbing attachment, no improvement. If I use just the 15% nozzle and hold it very close to the deck surface, I can blast away most of the gunk, but each pass with the wand is a clean strip only about 1" tall. My deck is pretty big, and cleaning the whole thing like that (one 1" strip at a time) will take a very long time (like coloring in an entire piece of white paper with just a black ball-point pen). And even that doesn't blast off the algae stains.

I've tried letting something as mild as Simple Green, as moderate as pressure-washer detergent, and as harsh as straight bleach sit on the surface for 10 minutes at a time, and nothing really helps. Fortunately, nothing has taken the paint off, either.

I figure there has to be an easier way - something that more effectively lifts the dirt, mold, mildew, etc. - but I don't know if it's something like 30-Second Krud Kutter, Wet & Forget (which I know takes a long time to work) or something else entirely. Rather than taking more shots in the dark, I was hoping someone here could steer me in the right direction.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Please and thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: squirk
I have had a lot of success with Wet&Forget around my pool and house.

Thanks! Did you use it on a preventative basis, or only after the deck got dirty? If the latter, how long did it take before you started noticing results?

I get green and black mold on North facing areas. Usually the it disappears within a day of spraying the area. If it is a big buildup it may take a second application. I have been using it for years and walk around with my sprayer every other month or so when I see stone is looking dirty.

Reactions: squirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.