Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2021
Longview, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is there a link on here that goes through the detailed steps for cleaning the cartridges? More specifically the disassembly and reassembly.
I've seen videos where they drain the filter completely and videos they do drain. Videos where they restart the pump after cleaning with the pressure valve open until water comes out to bleed the air and some videos they do not.

Here is our link. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
6X,

In my mind you need to remove the dirty water in the lower half of the tank. You can drain it (that is what I always do) but some people use a shop vac to just suck the dirty water out. If you are going to all the trouble to open the filter it does not make any sense to me, not to remove the dirty water.

I only open my air relief valve once the pump is up and running, but I doubt it makes much difference either way. The whole point is to just bleed out any air that remains in the filter after the pump is running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
I just got through cleaning mine for the first time. I drained the majority of the tank back into the pool, taking care not to disturb the filters until that had finished. I opened the relief valve with the pump shut down and that pulled it down to the level of the output port, then I ran a hose from the drain to the pool and let it go for about 30 minutes. There was a fair amount of debris in the bottom, but the water that went back into the pool was clean.

Once it down to the ~2" that wouldn't drain I fired up the wet vac and cleaned out the bottom. (Lots of grit from my new Pebble finish and pine needles).

It should be full with no leaks. Just lile putting your finger on a full straw. In this case, the straw is everything between the skimmer and returns, and the pool water on both ends is the finger.

Some air will inevitably get in so you purge that little bit as needed (weekly?)

6X,

The tank will be full of water until you let air in.. Before opening the tank, you first must open the air relief valve. This will normally cause the water in the filter to drain back into the pool. This assumes that your equipment pad is above the water level in the pool.

The amount of water left in the filter depends on the design of the filter, and your pool plumbing. Usually below halfway.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sunnymosmile
I'm just curious why you did not just open the filter drain plug?
Mostly because I didn't want to waste the water, it is scarce commodity here in SoCal. The main drain on my filter is plumbed to a 2" line that runs towards our P-Trap there is no plug. However they also conveniently plumbed in a hose-bib on the drain which is what I used to connect the hose to run the water back into the pool. Since the bib is not quite at the bottom that leaves about 1.5" of water in the bottom which I removed with the shop-vac along with the settled debris.

-Will

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.