Cleaning Fiberglass Pool Steps

madyogi

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Little Rock, AR
We are getting the liner replaced in our in-ground pool, and we want to clean the fiberglass steps. They aren't horrible, but a little dingy and stained. I've Jack's Magic on Amazon. Anyone have a favorite product or DIY mixture? Maybe just go with Jack's?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hey, Tex and others. Thanks for the responses!

I have seen the Magic Eraser suggestion elsewhere, so we might go with that.

I have a couple other questions related to this project, and perhaps I should start a separate thread? Let me know if you think I should, but we might be able to get it all answered here.

Looks like the new liner will be going in Saturday. I've never filled a pool from scratch. Do you just put in a hose and start filling? Should I expect the pool company to help with that? Once it's full, do I just balance chemicals as I would normally (without having to clear algae)? Do water companies generally share some of this cost?

Any answers to the above questions would be helpful. Any mods, feel free to scold and ask me to create another thread in the chemicals forum. Thanks!

With a 100% fresh fill, it's generally all on the owner. Now if you suspect you have any iron in the local water, let us know as that is a major issue for many pools. Otherwise, yes, you add the hose and go. Once the water is up to the skimmer, start letting the water circulate for about 20 minutes or so before grabbing your first sample for testing. Then you can adjust everything from there by referring to the PoolMath APP. Remember, new water has no stabilizer (CYA) in it, so you'll need to add that for sure. A minimum CYA of 30, but in your area this time of year perhaps start with a CYA of 40. On day one, add just enough liquid chlorine/regular bleach to get the FC to about 3 ppm. After that, keep the FC and CYA balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Always refer to those Vital Links below in my signature or use the PoolMath APP to help. Let us know if you have any questions.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Hey, Tex and others. Thanks for the responses!

I have seen the Magic Eraser suggestion elsewhere, so we might go with that.

I have a couple other questions related to this project, and perhaps I should start a separate thread? Let me know if you think I should, but we might be able to get it all answered here.

Looks like the new liner will be going in Saturday. I've never filled a pool from scratch. Do you just put in a hose and start filling? Should I expect the pool company to help with that? Once it's full, do I just balance chemicals as I would normally (without having to clear algae)? Do water companies generally share some of this cost?

Any answers to the above questions would be helpful. Any mods, feel free to scold and ask me to create another thread in the chemicals forum. Thanks!
What algae? You have a new liner. If there's any algae, it would be only slight amounts in the plumbing and filter.

Yeah, drop a hose it. No firsthand experience with inground vinyl, but it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck around a while to smooth out any wrinkles as it fills. Wouldn't surprise me if they asked for payment and walked away from an empty pool, either.

You're probably better off if the pros don't help you balance.

Fill it up and get it circulating. You can be pretty certain that FC will be zero, or will be soon without CYA, so you can add bleach without testing that. Same goes for the CYA. It'll be zero out of the faucet. You want it mixed and circulating before you grab a sample to test pH & TA. Then post. We'll tell you what needs adjusting in what order.

Great. Thanks, guys! I've been doing my own chemicals for the last three years, so I have not problem doing that, and Richard, I meant "we won't have any algae," which should make dialing in the chemicals more fun than slamming for 10+ days to start the season. I'll let you know how it goes!

So, my wife got in there with the Magic Erasers today while I was digging a french drain, and they did okay. Stairs definitely look whiter, but this is still what we're dealing with:

20200529_193231.jpg

Pretty dingy, and the liner is supposed to go in tomorrow. I'm thinking some sort of diluted acid? So, Richard, do I just take a vitamin C tab and break it up on a sponge? Do I mix it in some water to make a paste? What about mixing some muriatic acid with water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, my wife got in there with the Magic Erasers today while I was digging a french drain, and they did okay. Stairs definitely look whiter, but this is still what we're dealing with:

View attachment 142845

Pretty dingy, and the liner is supposed to go in tomorrow. I'm thinking some sort of diluted acid? So, Richard, do I just take a vitamin C tab and break it up on a sponge? Do I mix it in some water to make a paste? What about mixing some muriatic acid with water?

Paste. Just mash it on and scrub it around like comet or ajax. I don't think MA is a good idea. You'll burn holes in everything and destroy your lungs. And these days if someone hears you cough in public, you'll be treated like a leper.

Reactions: madyogi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.