Sanger, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I cleaned my filter today. Took an hour including complete disassembly and lube of the O rings.
I really dislike the mess of the DE. I never backwash, just disassemble and clean.

Am I alone in disliking the mess? I am thinking of changing to a cartridge filter.
What do others that made the change to a cartridge filter think?

M,

Here is my 'story' that I have shared many times. :mrgreen:

I bought two rent houses that had pools. Both pools had DE Filters. Wife decided that we needed a pool at our house. so we had one built. I really, really wanted another DE filter and was very disappointed that due to city rules, I was 'forced' to get a large cartridge filter.

That was about 8 years ago, and now I can't wait for the rent house DE filters to bite the dust so that I will be 'forced' to upgrade them to large cartridge filters. I will never ever go back to DE filters again.

Large cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing, no backwash or MPV to go bad or leak, low backpressure, and no DE to mess with. Just about as simple as you can get.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I really dislike the mess of the DE. I never backwash, just disassemble and clean.
Just curious why you do not backwash as that is 15mins. Although not a perfect process to completely clean the DE filter, it does work.
I completely disassemble the DE filter annually for a thorough cleaning and backwash monthly. I also have a dedicated drain line for the backwash to exit so I do not deal with the backwash debris.

Herman,

I too no longer backwash my two DE filters. In fact, they no longer even have their old in-operatable MPVs.

I clean them twice a year... Once in the Spring and Once in the Fall. I take them completely apart, clean the grids and put everything back together.

Back washing monthly would be too much of a pain for me, without any real benefit that I can see.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Herman,

I too no longer backwash my two DE filters. In fact, they no longer even have their old in-operatable MPVs.

I clean them twice a year... Once in the Spring and Once in the Fall. I take them completely apart, clean the grids and put everything back together.

Back washing monthly would be too much of a pain for me, without any real benefit that I can see.

Thanks,

Jim R.
For sure a functional MPV is necessary to backwash. Each pool is different and I find the backwash process works well. Eventually I will go with a cartridge filter, just not time for it yet.

Herman,

I guess my point was that for me, I see no point in backwashing as it is simpler for me to just clean the filter twice a year. It is not like backwashing made my water any clearer than it already is.

I understand not upgrading to a large cartridge filter, as it is an unneeded added cost if the DE filters are working. That is exactly why the two DE filters I have are still in operation. On one hand I want them to fail tomorrow, on the other hand, I hope they never fail. :mrgreen:

You should continue to do what works best for you. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
I would backwash if I did not have an hour to clean it right. Or if it was cold outside.
Otherwise, I rather disassemble and know it is clean. It also gives me the opportunity to examine the parts inside the filter. This year I cleaned the filter three times; in the spring, summer and yesterday on one of our last warm days.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.