"Cleaner" Feature keeps randomly turning on

ifunlisted

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I recently installed a new suction cleaner (Baracuda G3) and it works great, but for some reason the "Cleaner" feature in my Pentair system keeps kicking in at random times. I have in-floor pop-ups but they weren't cutting it, so I installed the G3 and routed the suction 100% through the skimmer (where the vacuum hose is attached). I have the "Cleaner" feature scheduled to run every night for several hours and I have the standard "Pool" feature scheduled to run during the day, as well as a couple other scheduled items. Everything runs properly, but the Cleaner will kick in at random times...sometimes while in Pool mode, sometimes when nothing else is running... I haven't been able to determine a pattern.

Has anyone else seen this before, or have any idea why it would happen?

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    532.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    640.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    605 KB · Views: 8
fun,

It sounds like you are running the in-floor system at night and the skimmer/vacuum during the day.. Is that correct?

I can't think of anything obvious that would cause the in-floor system to come on when not scheduled...

If you have ScreenLogic show me your schedules page like this one...

Thanks,

Jim R.

fun,

It sounds like you are running the in-floor system at night and the skimmer/vacuum during the day.. Is that correct?

I can't think of anything obvious that would cause the in-floor system to come on when not scheduled...

If you have ScreenLogic show me your schedules page like this one...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I disabled the in-floor completely. The way my system is set up, the "Cleaner" circuit connects to an actuator that routes the return water in one of two directions; 1) to the floor pop-ups (pipe labeled "Cleaner"), 2) to the pool returns/water feature. We tried using the pop-ups for a while but they just weren't keeping up, so I switched the actuator for the "Cleaner" circuit to route the water to the returns rather than the pop-ups. So essentially, when the "Cleaner" circuit randomly kicks in, it's not actually the pop-ups or the "Cleaner" valves, it's the pool returns. I'm also using a PoolSkim, so I need that flow through the returns.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there's a failsafe for the SWG...if there's not enough flow during Pool mode, maybe it kicks it up to a circuit with a higher rpm...but that wouldn't explain why it would be running when the pool is off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 7.37.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 7.37.33 AM.png
    38 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 3
Fun,

I suspect that your Cleaner Circuit has its function set to "Cleaner" Since you are really just using the circuit to run a valve, then I suggest that you set the Function to Generic and see if your problems go away.. I would also make sure that "on with Freeze" is unchecked... use the following setup pages to make the changes..

View media item 1964
If you were using a Robot you could get your skimmer back, would not have to worry about any valves or pumps running, and your pool would be spotless.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Fun,

I suspect that your Cleaner Circuit has its function set to "Cleaner" Since you are really just using the circuit to run a valve, then I suggest that you set the Function to Generic and see if your problems go away.. I would also make sure that "on with Freeze" is unchecked... use the following setup pages to make the changes..

View media item 1964
If you were using a Robot you could get your skimmer back, would not have to worry about any valves or pumps running, and your pool would be spotless.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok Jim I finally got around to checking this out... and let me tell you why you're brilliant. My Cleaner Circuit's function was set to Floor Cleaner (which makes sense because that's the system that was in place) and the description of that function is "Rotates a 3-way valve every 20 minutes alternating flow between two cleaner system valves that feed the pop-up heads." I switched it to Generic, but I haven't tested it. I have a feeling that's going to solve the issue though. Thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.