ratherbgolfing

Apr 1, 2021
Pa
I have a contractor prepping the ground for a 15x26 above ground pool that's going to be about 2ft below grade. It was all clay when he started to dig down. He wanted to put down regular 2b stone on top of the clay. I stopped him from doing that because I thought it would just make a mess. He scooped up the pile of 2b he dropped and now I'm left with a mess to try and level out. Amy thoughts on the proper way to handle this? Should I just let the clay dry out and try leveling? Or maybe put another base material down ? Paver base? Modified? I'll try to attach some photos soon

So he just bailed on you without any attempt to level? Wow.

Is the rock still there, or all gone? I don’t have any familiarity with soil like yours, but I imagine drainage is an issue. How were you planning on dealing with that? I assume your AGP has metal walls?

I didn't pay him yet so he's not getting paid until this is resolved. The 2b stone is still there, mixed in with the mushy clay. It's a mess. I plan on a perimeter drain once the pool is in. The pool has aluminum walls and approved to be buried up to 2ft. I think I'm going to have him dig out several more inches, put down geotextile fabric, a layer of 3b, and then modified 2a compacted on top of that. I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do it. Any suggestions anybody?

Reactions: kellyfair
My soil is all clay, and the installer was able to get it pretty smooth using a mini excavator. Then added and tamped a thin layer of sand under the liner to fully smooth things.

I also opted for a foam base on top of that. The pool bottom is smooth and it turned out nice.

I have a contractor prepping the ground for a 15x26 above ground pool that's going to be about 2ft below grade. It was all clay when he started to dig down. He wanted to put down regular 2b stone on top of the clay. I stopped him from doing that because I thought it would just make a mess. He scooped up the pile of 2b he dropped and now I'm left with a mess to try and level out. Amy thoughts on the proper way to handle this? Should I just let the clay dry out and try leveling? Or maybe put another base material down ? Paver base? Modified? I'll try to attach some photos soon
I hope you built a retention wall clay is a headache will not absorb water under pool when raining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.