Clay or sandy loam?

austinpoolcool

Jul 8, 2023
Austin, TX
My contractor laid out this soil all around the pool and the patio. It’s very red compared to the soil I originally had in my backyard, but he is saying this is sandy loam and I should be able to grow grass on it. Does this look right? I am wondering if this is clay and not sandy loam. I am in Texas where we have some major problems with foundation shifting due to clay type soil problems

Last edited:
Looks like a sandy loam. Are you seeding or sodding? Sod will have a bit of top soil. If seeding, you can mix in some top soil or soil conditioner to help. Grass can grow in some harsh conditions. Water and sunshine is the key.

P.S. If it is mostly clay, then add sand instead of top soil. Sandy is better than clay.

My contractor laid out this soil all around the pool and the patio. It’s very red compared to the soil I originally had in my backyard, but he is saying this is sandy loam and I should be able to grow grass on it. Does this look right? I am wondering if this is clay and not sandy loam. I am in Texas where we have some major problems with foundation shifting due to clay type soil problems.
Thank you
Looks like sandy loam to me as well. If you pick it up and squeeze it together in your hand if will feel like playdough if it has a good bit of clay in it. Sandy loam is going to feel more loose and parts of may slip through your fingers. You can also mix it with a little water and do the same test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.