Class 200 PVC on Autofill line

RickAg

Dec 1, 2021
Indio, CA
In my on-going saga of dealing with an incompetent PB....

I discovered they used Class 200 PVC on the autofill line. :mad::brickwall:

This is an old pic, but somewhat illustrative. The pipe has been cut down closer to the ground and the BFP has been correctly oriented and installed into the water line on the right. I also had them remove some material around where the pipe goes through the concrete to minimize that as a failure point.

However, I stumbled upon the fact that the PVC line going through the concrete, and presumably the rest of the line going to the auto-fill is Class 200 PVC, rather than Schedule 40. How displeased should I be? Even on the pressure side of my irrigation system, I used Sched 40 pipe.

From a max pressure perspective, it's likely fine, but are there any longevity or other concerns I should be weighing here? If the pipe was accessible, I'd have them rip it out and re-do yesterday. Unfortunately it runs under the concrete patio/deck. I have color & stamped concrete that will undoubtably not match if they were to remove the section on top of the pipe.

I'm in Indio, CA, so barring any wild climate change impacts, frost heave shouldn't be an issue. It's SoCal, so earthquakes are definitely a potential. It's under the concrete deck, so no errant gardener's will be able to attack it with a shovel.

img_4024-jpg.411298

I think the Class 200 pipe will be fine.

I think the Class 200 pipe will be fine.

And based on that doc, maybe I'm mixing terminologies.

They used thin-wall PVC rated at 200psi. Probably this (Charlotte Pipe 1 in. x 10 ft. Plastic Plain End Pipe PVC200100600 - The Home Depot)
vs
Thick-wall PVC schedule 40 (JM EAGLE 1 in. x 10 ft. White PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Plain-End Pipe 531194 - The Home Depot)

As mentioned, pressure likely isn't a concern. Just general durability and longevity.

I don’t think it is worth ripping up the deck over it.

In 10-20 years when you replace the deck you can replace the pipe.

If you’re worried about max pressure, you could always install a pressure reducer after the backflow preventer and take the pressure down to sprinkler rating (like 30psi).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.