CL and pH tests

Fermat

May 17, 2019
Costa Rica
I'm the new owner of a pool. No previous experience. Using a Pentair yellow/red kit for CL/pH respectively. Questions:
1- I noticed in another trend, here at this website, that I should expect a normal FC of about 8, but the ideal CL indicated in my kit is 1.0 thru 3.0. What's going on? Is FC different to CL?
2. My CL test goes above 3.0 I believe (just "too" yellow). Pool water looks pristine. pH test is probably 7.8 or more and I can't get it down. Is CL level affecting the pH test?

Appreciate all corrections, education and questions. Best regards,

Welcome to the forum. I would direct you to Pool School for the basics for a new user. Reading it twice is NOT prohibited! Your FC should be the correct level based on the CYA/Chlorine chart there. There is no one correct answer other than it should be 7.5% of your CYA level. That cheaper testing kit you have is only good for telling you there is basically SOME chlorine in the water. Everything we recommend chemically is based on having your own great test kit so we can help. I don't know if you can get the Taylor kit in Costa Rica or not. FC only affects the ph reading by making it read falsely high if it over 10.

Reactions: Fermat
CL is also TC, total Chlorine.
FC is available free chlorine,. CC is sorta half-used Combined Chloramine. It's what smells like a gym pool. The formula is FC + CC = TC. In an ideal world, CC will be zero, so FC would equal TC. See ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Your little tester is designed using archaic pool chemistry without any CYA stabilizer. 1-3 would be ideal with zero CYA. But since you have CYA (I hope) you need to follow FC/CYA Levels

When the CL on your tester is blinding yellow heading towards orange, it will react with the pH dye and ruin the pH readings. See Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

To read chlorine above 5, you need a FAS-DPD tester. It can read up to 50 FC!! How to get one in Costa Rica is beyond me.

Reactions: Fermat
Welcome to the forum. I would direct you to Pool School for the basics for a new user. Reading it twice is NOT prohibited! Your FC should be the correct level based on the CYA/Chlorine chart there. There is no one correct answer other than it should be 7.5% of your CYA level. That cheaper testing kit you have is only good for telling you there is basically SOME chlorine in the water. Everything we recommend chemically is based on having your own great test kit so we can help. I don't know if you can get the Taylor kit in Costa Rica or not. FC only affects the ph reading by making it read falsely high if it over 10.
Thank you! Ordering the Taylor kit now.

CL is also TC, total Chlorine.
FC is available free chlorine,. CC is sorta half-used Combined Chloramine. It's what smells like a gym pool. The formula is FC + CC = TC. In an ideal world, CC will be zero, so FC would equal TC. See ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Your little tester is designed using archaic pool chemistry without any CYA stabilizer. 1-3 would be ideal with zero CYA. But since you have CYA (I hope) you need to follow FC/CYA Levels

When the CL on your tester is blinding yellow heading towards orange, it will react with the pH dye and ruin the pH readings. See Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

To read chlorine above 5, you need a FAS-DPD tester. It can read up to 50 FC!! How to get one in Costa Rica is beyond me.
Thank you. Some work to be done here.
Appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.