Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I've been researching SWGs for several months but haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm leaning towards CircuPool but can decide between RJ-60+ ($1649) or the Universal-55 ($1099). The Edge-40 is tempting for $999 but probably not big enough for a 27K gallon pool in Houston.

One question is how accurate are the rated lifespans of the RJ-60+ (15K hours) and the Universal-55 (10K hours)? If you calculate $/lb for each unit based on rated lifespans it comes out pretty close ($0.85/lb vs $0.91/lb, respectively).

I prefer the RJ-60+, but noticed the RJ-60+ has increased in price (+$180) while the Universal-55 has decreased in price (-$170) since earlier this year, so I'm torn if I should wait for a better sale in the dead of winter.

One question is how accurate are the rated lifespans of the RJ-60+ (15K hours) and the Universal-55 (10K hours)? If you calculate $/lb for each unit based on rated lifespans it comes out pretty close ($0.85/lb vs $0.91/lb, respectively).
That is a very difficult area to predict. We have many threads here (myself included) where SWG owners attempt to predict FC production to what is advertised. Keep in mind what is advertised is based off of ideal (factory/lab) testing conditions. I have the RJ-45 for our ~18K pool, so the RJ-60 would be a logical choice for you. I also like the programming capabilities with the RJ-series versus some of the other models that don't have quite toe variety of output setting choices.

If you have no other automation in use that might drive a specific brand, the Circupool models are certainly quite popular. Mine is wrapping up season #4 and I hope to see it work through next year. If a cell makes it through 5 years we've done pretty well.

I have the RJ-45 and, based on overnight production tests, have determined that my unit is not producing at the advertised rate of 2.0 lbs./per day. Here's my post on a thread that @Texas Splash started last year:

My results show my unit is producing at 71% of it's advertised rate. That puts the actual production rate 1.42 lbs./per day, very close to the Universal 40 advertised rate of 1.47 lbs./per day.

The Universal 40 appears to be a clone of Hayward's 40K system that has the same claimed rate of 1.47 lbs./per day. Similar systems are sold under the brands names of Pureline, Calimar, Xtreme Power, etc.

That aside, I'm satisfied with the RJ-45's performance and consistency.

+1. Their overstated outputs are in no way needed IMO as any of the units perform GREAT. But marketing. :roll:

The same goes for their forever sale where all the product lines are marked up and you buy the lesser one at the higher ones price, then 'upgrade' for $10. The sale had literally been going on since I got here and they change the upgrade price occasionally from $1 to $10 likely to not run afoul of the FTC. See ????? It's a different sale this time.

Both make them real shady IMO, but so many members report their good experiences I can't dislike them no matter how much I want to.

Reactions: Bluehens92
I appreciate all the feedback. The overstated outputs gives more credibility to buying the largest size SWG you can afford.

I had an Aqua Logic SWG years ago when the pool was built, but the pool builder only supplied a 40K SWG, which is probably why we had some issues with having to replace the cell every couple of years. We also had corrosion issues with our pump motors and the coating on our lawn furniture flaking off, but I assume technology is a little better now and I understand proper pool chemistry thanks to you experts on TFP. (y)

We also had corrosion issues with our pump motors and the coating on our lawn furniture flaking off
I assure you those would have happened either way. Especially the lawn furniture because salt doesn't evaporate. It would have taken continual cannonballs in their direction *if* there was any teeth to 10% of seawater salinity mattering. Which it doesn't.

Our gal @kul 'switched to salt' recently and she found her content at 2900ppm and the SWG worked before the first bag of salt was added to bring it a hair higher into range.

Salt pools are bad tho. :roll:

Reactions: kul and Bluehens92
Maybe I'll stick with liquid chlorine then ;)
0 out of 10 stars. Do. Not. Reccomend. :ROFLMAO:

I have to source a week or so of LC every spring and it usually takes a few stores and waiting on employees to find a fresher batch up high somewhere. It's a yearly refresher to why I never went to LC in the first place when it takes me an hour and a half to find 6 good jugs. I don't need it anymore by the time everyone has full displays out.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s such a pain to shop for liquid chlorine. I usually bought 20 gallons at a time and between the lifting and double checking date and storing and splashing my clothes routinely, it was something I had resigned myself to. It was ok and worked fine while I was doing it, but I look forward to just needing it when the SWG turns off in cold weather.

If you’re considering it, do it. I waited until I needed to replace my heater. It’s kinda pricey so just wait until you’re ready. I ended up going with the Pentair IC 60.

I recalculated my pool volume and the 27K might be conservative, but I am leaning towards the CircuPool RJ60+ just to be safe. The RJ60+ is also $50 cheaper on Amazon ($1599) vs DSP ($1649) too. Any disadvantages to purchasing on Amazon?

I recalculated my pool volume and the 27K might be conservative, but I am leaning towards the CircuPool RJ60+ just to be safe. The RJ60+ is also $50 cheaper on Amazon ($1599) vs DSP ($1649) too. Any disadvantages to purchasing on Amazon?
Just call DSP and ask them to match or beat that Amazon price.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

I got mine off of Amazon and DSP was still the authorized seller who provided support when needed.
I noticed an Amazon reviewer said Amazon was not an authorized seller but I contacted CircuPool and they confirmed Amazon is an authorized seller. CircuPool just said to be prepared with the Amazon invoice number and the chlorinator’s serial number so that they can identify the specific unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.