CircuPool RJ-60 vs. AutoPilot Dig 220 PPC4

I’m considering installing a SWG for my mother’s 13,000 gallon pool. I think I have it narrowed down to the Autopilot Dig 220 with a PPC4 cell or a CircuPool RJ-60. The CircuPool has a 7 year warranty, and claims it can produce 3.1 lbs/day, for $1,099 shipped. The Autopilot has a 2 year warranty and claims it can produce 1.92 lbs/day, for $1499 shipped. Comparing the reviews and specs alone, it looks like CircuPool should be the winner. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Last edited:
A RJ60 is much larger than needed for a 13K pool, especially if the pool is in a lanai. I run my RJ30 a maximum of 45% over 8 hours mid summer in the Daytona area to maintain my pool at about FC 5.5 with a CYA of 40-50. A RJ30 should suit her needs and anything larger than a RJ40 would be gross overkill based on my experience. I have no experience with pool pilot but the model you're looking at seems plenty big enough.

Besides the longer warranty of the CircuPool unit, it's also meant for bigger pools, so the cell should last longer. Since Discount Salt Pools sells both, you could ask them for a recommendation. For what it's worth, I recently installed a CircuPool SWCG (a different model though) and I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Still researching and found a little more info. It appears the CircuPool's warranty is prorated. I can not find third party verification of CircuPool's output, while AutoPilot is verified through NSF. Could the 3.1 lbs/day be inflated for marketing purposes? If not, why haven't they sent out their units for verification. I've also read the CircuPool system is a "white label" system, which basically means a manufacturer in China puts their name on it, with bouncing between manufacturers being common. I assume this would negatively impact quality and reliability.

After speaking with discountsaltpool.com, they said that either unit would be fine and not oversized for my 13,000 pool, as I can always adjust the run time and % to my desired levels which would extend cell life, and give me the option to super chlorinate if needed for heavy rain or pool parties.

I do not know where the CircuPool units are manufactured. There was no indication on the box or the unit itself for my CORE-55. I saw another post where someone said they were manufactured in Australia, but I think that is unsubstantiated.

Hi Everyone. First post here. I have owned an AutoPilot Digital w/RC-60 cell since 2005. 25k gallon pool. Worked great until 2014, lasted 9 years on the original cell. Power supply capacitors were shot but I was able to swap them out easily (I'm handy with a soldering iron) and replaced the cell with an RC-52. Everything worked fine until this Summer. The cell looked clean, but even after acid cleaning I wasn't able to get the unit working. I tried replacing the capacitors again, but it still didn't work. I was able to get 9 years on the original cell/power supply, but only 4-5 on the replacement. A bit disappointed there.

So, I had a choice to make: stick with the AutoPilot and try to repair or replace the controller ($725 for a new controller), or look at an alternative. While I was happy with the 14 years that it served me, I decided on the CircuPool RJ45+ ($879 for the system with a 15k hours cell). Just installed it a few days ago.

I am happy so far. I like that the cell housing is clear. Seems to be working fine. However, the electronics are much more primitive than the AutoPilot. The temperature reading is a bit off, but I haven't found a way to calibrate yet. Ditto on the salinity readings. Overall I am satisfied, and the price was much more attractive than the AutoPilot.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.