Circupool RJ 30 SWG Replacment cell vs new system

dcjbhm

Dec 12, 2018
Pensacola
We inherited an RJ 30 model circupool SWG last summer that had been “repaired”. It worked for about 10 months and has now stopped working even after trying to clean the cell. It seems like the best bet would just be to buy a replacement cell and pop it in where the old used to be and carry on with the same control panel vs buying and installing a whole new system. Any advantage to Doing the one thing over the other?

You state your pool volume to be 21k gallons. It is recommended that cell capacity be at least twice pool volume. This does two things. Reduces the amount of output required by the cell, increasing the life of the cell, and decreases pump run times.

I bought my RJ 30+ for a smaller pool, then moved it to this one (32K). My plan is to replace the cell when it dies. So far I keep it set on 60% 24/7, pump @ 200 watts. CL stays high (6-7) while I'm waiting for more sunny days to eat the CL. Works for me.

Your cell is rated for 30,000 gallons. In theory if you had a 30,000 gal. pool you would have to run it 100 percent 24 hours a day to maintain a proper chlorine level. Your cell is not theoretically too small for your pool but it will have to work fairly hard to keep up. A larger cell would allow less pump run time and less swg percentage. If you can run the swg at a lower percentage it can be expected to last longer. I don't know if you have the 30 or 30 plus model. I have the RJ60 plus and the controller can be set to different cell types of the RJ plus cells; the controller is universal and can be used with any of the RJ plus cells

.... the controller is universal and can be used with any of the RJ plus cells
Thanks for that info, this is good to know for future reference. I was wondering about that when I saw the different model options listed on my RJ45+ controller screen. I just hadn't seen it documented anywhere in the literature on the Discount Salt Pools website to verify it. If I upgrade in the future and only have to purchase the cell, I'l' probably upgrade the the RJ60+ if that model is still available at that time. This is my first year with a Salt Water Generator, so hopefully I have a lot of time to decide.

Cruiser310

It's not just a TFP thing, most manufactures have a little disclaimer somewhere in the manuals about sizing a SWG system. Jandy says you might consider running two of their units if your pool size is near the upper limit and you live in year round climates such as Florida, California, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.