Circupool Edge union leaks

sir_eccles

Apr 15, 2023
Phoenix
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
Longtime reader who appreciates everything I've learned here, just joined today to post this.

So last year I installed an Edge25 which worked fine until near the end of the season when I couldn't get a good seal on the top union. Just a dribble so I try to tighten it and it pops apart. It hasn't cracked, the threads skip and it comes apart.

I do a warranty return and they look at it and say it's fine. Meanwhile the dummy cell they sold me seals fine. They send me back my cell but I don't get to try it until now because my 25 year old filter explodes (yay).

So here I am, I've installed my new filter, drained the swamp, refilled and added salt. I put in the cell, it leaks, I tighten it and it pops apart leaving me covered in water. You can feel it when you tighten it just as you think it's tight the thread skips and it's loose again. The thread looks fine to the naked eye (see photo).

Is my only answer a difficult phone call with tech support where I don't settle for anything less than a warranty replacement? I can't think of any technical solutions.

IMG_20230415_145245704.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is my only answer a difficult phone call with tech support where I don't settle for anything less than a warranty replacement? I can't think of any technical solutions.
I would get pics of it leaking. Then swap the cell direction and get pics of it leaking at the other side. This will prove it to the unit, while also proving your unions to be ok.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
See all that "stuff" on the threads - clean it all off thoroughly.
Chances are it may be inside the union nut also - clean it just as thoroughly.

Remove the O-ring first and clean it - and the O-ring retention area on the cell.

Get it all pretty much surgically clean, lube the O-ring, install the O-ring, install the nut until snug - plus 1/8 turn.
If it still leaks at that point, shut the pump off and tighten another 1/8 turn MAX.
If it's still leaking, contact support.

UPDATE: had some personal stuff going on so it took a while to sort this.

I spoke to tech support and they were baffled as to what was wrong but decided the solution was to send me a "slip on collar". Basically a wide mouth union collar. The paper insert suggests there's been a change in thread profile. Anyway it made no difference.

However I then came up with the answer. Placed the collar in hot water and squeezed it with a hose clamp. Just enough deformation that it doesn't jump the threads. I've left the clamp on just in case.

I don't know what the problem was. Did I get one with a dodgy tolerance, did the thread wear against a bit of grit, did the Phoenix sun kill it. No idea. But if anyone else has a similar problem this does the trick.

IMG_20230524_152321400_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Newdude
I’m a bit late to the party, but I constantly have this same issue with mine. They shouldn’t be baffled as I went around and around with their tech support troubleshooting late last year. They were not helpful at all and blamed the install.

I jumped on TFP just now to actually post about this again to see if anyone has come across this issue. I basically have to paste a ton of lube on the o-rings and hold my tongue just right whilst tightening the union in order to get it to stop leaking. Then it will start leaking again after a few months.

Good idea on the hose clamp, I will give that a shot.

I also found the nut to seem to be oversized, loose on the threads. I cut the nut with a trim saw to open a gap and used a hose clamp to shrink the nut down all the way around. This seemed to work pretty well, not sure why this happens, the clean out cap also fits real loose but doesn't jump the threads. Can't really see the cell side shrinking so maybe it's loose from the factory and after a few removals the threads wear enough to skip/jump when tightened? A 4" hose clamp fit perfect.IMG_20230922_075821796.jpgIMG_20230922_075633121.jpgIMG_20230922_075712261.jpg

I also found the nut to seem to be oversized, loose on the threads. I cut the nut with a trim saw to open a gap and used a hose clamp to shrink the nut down all the way around. This seemed to work pretty well, not sure why this happens, the clean out cap also fits real loose but doesn't jump the threads. Can't really see the cell side shrinking so maybe it's loose from the factory and after a few removals the threads wear enough to skip/jump when tightened? A 4" hose clamp fit perfect.View attachment 531703View attachment 531704View attachment 531702
Love this kind of resolve when all else fails.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.