Circulation Question

Hello all,

My pool details can be found in my signature. I have a question regarding the circulation and if I should look at making any changes.

If I'm standing and looking at my pool with the skimmer at my feet, the return line is about 4' to the right of it, but it returns the water across the skimmer. The result is that if you watch something floating in the pool - a bug or leaf or whatever - it will often make it's way around toward the skimmer, but then the return will push the item back across the pool, for it to make another loop. We do end up getting debris in skimmer basket so at some point it gets pulled in but I feel like it's not ideal.

(SIDE NOTE: The return fitting looks like many that I've seen online and I thought it was adjustable; however, I have tried to move it numerous times and have put enough force on it that I was concerned with breaking it. So it's either not adjustable, or is really stuck in place after years of not being moved)

In addition, when we go to vacuum the pool the far end is typically dirtier (more stuff on the bottom) than any other section. I feel like there might be some dead spots that are far away from the skimmer and return line.

We manage to keep the pool clean and are not having any sort of issue, so it might be best to just leave everything as is. Just thought I'd tap into the knowledge on the forum about making any sort of change. Thanks.

So, update. I looked on Amazon and other sites, I think the eyeball I have is the Hayward SP1419D, which is supposed to be directional. I took mine all the way out and can't really get the eyeball to budge and I'm afraid of breaking it.

On the Amazon site, half the reviews say it's not directional and the other half says it is, so I'm wondering if there is some sort of trick to get them to move?

Update to my update: when I unscrewed it from the pool, it brought out the whole fitting. I had to use two pairs of channel locks to get the knurled nut off of the fitting, then tap on the seized up eyeball to get it free. I then cleaned all of the corrosion products off of both parts and reassembled; I now have the return pointing the other way.

Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.