Circulation (15x30) Above Ground - Need Advice

edif30

Gold Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Thorofare, NJ
Hi TFP folks!

My pool is 15x30 (per my signature) and for the last couple of years (prior to finding this site) I have been wondering and researching on the best circulation for my pool water. My pump is a 1.5 HP Haywood and is the same pump as I used to have before when I had the same type of pool many years ago (at least I think it is). I knew next to nothing even then but what I do remember is that all debris (and there was a lot because I was surrounded by trees back then) would gather in the middle of the pool. The current was so strong that you would see pool floats going in circles. Being in a tube you would just coast across the edges of the pool. It was kinda fun actually. The debris and dead algae would gather in the middle and it was a breeze to vacuum. Maybe I had more than a 1.5 HP pump? All I know is now with the same type of pool, depth, water capacity, nearly nothing gathers in the middle. Most of the debris/dead organisms gather at the far end of the pool or on the side (opposite of the jet stream from the return). This question also applies to proper water chemistry and circulation. I am wondering if there is just not enough circulation and is this 1.5 HP enough? When I bought the pump I asked the pool guy and he said the 1.5 HP was appropriately sized for my pool. Would a 2 HP hurt? Is there anything I can do to increase the PSI to get things in the water moving?

I'm curious about circulation and best practices in general. Is it best to point the return jet downward and towards the right side wall? Point upwards and aerate a little? Curious of the experiences you folks have on this forum.

Thanks!

I would say it has more to do with the direction of the returns at this point. How many returns do you have? Can you diagram them for us? That pump ought to be plenty strong for your pool.
Toss some ping pong balls in the water and watch how they move with the flow. That can help you adjust returns.

Maddie :flower:

Also, prevailing wind direction might be a factor depending on location and how well you are screened from the wind.

I would say it has more to do with the direction of the returns at this point. How many returns do you have? Can you diagram them for us? That pump ought to be plenty strong for your pool.
Toss some ping pong balls in the water and watch how they move with the flow. That can help you adjust returns.

I only have 1 return and it is at the end of the oval about 3 feet to the right of the center of the end. Hope that helps understand. I've had kids pool toys in there and while they move a little its nothing like my older pool where it was literally a whirlpool in some respects.

What is the direction that the jet should be in? All the way to the right? Pointing up? Pointing down?

If you're looking to raise your pH, pointed up and breaking the surface will help do that.
If you're looking to push debris in a particular direction, pointed down and in that direction should help.

Having only one return, its going to be hard to replicate your old pool's circulation. And as Crusemm rightly said- wind direction will play a big role in circulation.

Does your skimmer work well in that it collects surface debris?

If you're looking to raise your pH, pointed up and breaking the surface will help do that.
If you're looking to push debris in a particular direction, pointed down and in that direction should help.

Having only one return, its going to be hard to replicate your old pool's circulation. And as Crusemm rightly said- wind direction will play a big role in circulation.

Does your skimmer work well in that it collects surface debris?

The skimmer does collect debris. My old pool only had 1 return in the same exact spot. Wind played zero role in how fast the water was moving. Same with this current pool I have. Different location yes but on a zero wind day you can most certainly tell the difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.