Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So the circuit breaker on my pump has popped twice over the past couple days. Any one have suggestions on what could be causing this? I’d like to have some idea of what’s going on before I contact an electrician.

Is it a GFCI breaker? If so they don't appear to last long. Myself and others have had problems with them and need replacing every few years. Some times a regular breaker will go bad too. Just a thought. Maybe start with swapping the breaker out.

after reading yet another gfci breaker related post it makes me wonder if some of these are actually AFCI (Arc fault rather than ground fault). A few code editions ago they made them mandatory in bedrooms presumably to protect against plug in lamps shorting. Now they are 100% required for new installs. I'm not qualified to explain the differences but my electrician says they are a pain and of course not cheap.

Point being it's worth a closer look to confirm exactly which is present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely it's the GFCI breaker gone bad. Has anything changed that would cause the pump to run differently? Anything else powered off the breaker? Does your pump look like it's seen better days? Even if looks trashed but runs it's probably not the pump.

For the past 3 years my pump would rust up and would not turn till i broke it free. The bottom of the motor was rusted away. But it still ran. Even with what looked like a death trap it was the GFCI breaker. I have two circuits that I can plug my equipement into so a quick swap of the plugs and let it run for a couple of weeks with no issues basically confirmed the issue.

If you are not comfortable/capable swapping it, have a professional handle it. It's an important safety device.

Most likely it's the GFCI breaker gone bad. Has anything changed that would cause the pump to run differently? Anything else powered off the breaker? Does your pump look like it's seen better days? Even if looks trashed but runs it's probably not the pump.

For the past 3 years my pump would rust up and would not turn till i broke it free. The bottom of the motor was rusted away. But it still ran. Even with what looked like a death trap it was the GFCI breaker. I have two circuits that I can plug my equipement into so a quick swap of the plugs and let it run for a couple of weeks with no issues basically confirmed the issue.

If you are not comfortable/capable swapping it, have a professional handle it. It's an important safety device.
Pump and breaker are less than a year old. Popped twice but has been running fine otherwise. It was just strange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.