Choosing new filter

Hey all, do you think it makes a difference if I get the pool filter installed now and shut down the pool for winter? Or if it’s better to wait till spring to install it?

I, personally, wouldn’t make any major pool related purchases at the moment unless you can find some incredible sales price and then let it sit in your garage all winter. Plus it doesn’t make much sense to tear into the plumbing work when there’s no payoff involved. It’s like “Hurry up and …. WAIT!” … seems kind of pointless.

Reactions: Sidemoves
Hey all, do you think it makes a difference if I get the pool filter installed now and shut down the pool for winter? Or if it’s better to wait till spring to install it?
If you found a hectic of a sale, then yes but I would delay any major purchase at this time since the product will be idle until you open in the spring. Bet on some deals at start of swim season, especially if economy is just barely moving and companies are trying to move inventory at that time.

Pool company is recommending a Jandy cartridge filter. He said they make one upwards of 700 sq ft compared to pentair clean n clear of 520. Anyone know which model and if it’s better/worse than the pentair?

A 700sq ft cartridge system is going to involve HUGE cartridges. The C&C 520 is already plenty tall. If you’ve ever lifted a wet cartridge, they can be quite the back-buster. I’m not sure the additional 200sq ft of surface area is really going to get you all that much more benefit given the potential risk of a herniated disk.

+1.

Filter brand matters the least out of any of it. Size is king and a 700 will need cleaning at proportionately longer intervals than a 500. But a 500 range filter is already honking and can probably go all season as is for most pools.

A CCP520 stand 4ft 8in tall. That means that you have to be able to lift the lid, which is ~ 33” tall and 21.5” in diameter at least that high to clear the cartridges and top manifold. If you’re a big/tall person, that’s not so bad. If you’re a smallish person, then that requires two people. Also, the cartridges are 32” tall and weigh probably 20lbs wet.

So, with those dimensions in mind, be careful about going bigger.

Also note that the Jandy inlet/outlet connectors are the opposite of the Pentair CCP. So you want to make sure you understand the plumbing configuration that makes it easier for install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there any difference in quality?

I can’t say with any certainty. I’m sure if you asked 100 pool technicians their opinion, 50 of them would say Pentair and 50 would say Jandy. I’m a Pentair equipment pool owner so dropping in a CCP filter would literally be that - drop it in place and connect it. Going with any other brand would require me to do replumbing work and cost more.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.