chlorine wierdness

cmdr-s

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Columbus, IN
What does it mean when both free and total chlorine levels are zero? This, after adding 54# of cal-hypo and 16 gal of LC over past month. Water is still cloudy, backwash is cloudy but not green. I've heard that too much chlorine can "overwhelm" test kits and result in bad readings.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

It means you have something growing in the water that the chlorine is trying to kill and is being consumed quickly in teh process. I'd stop with that CalHypo unless you want your calcium reading thru the roof (or you have a huge pool).

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these: ABCs of Water Chemistry
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF100 test kit has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

If this is an inground pool, it's possible you developed ammonia, which will consume all the chlorine you add virtually instantly until it is oxidized.

I would avoid using any more cal-hypo, until you can test your water yourself as Tim suggests, stick to liquid. You could end up with a whole different problem. Also cal-hypo can make the pool cloudy, tho it's usually temporary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.