Chlorine usage - is this reasonable?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I have a new-ish pool and I'm still figuring out the right balance for my SWG. I have a single speed pump that I'm currently running for 6 hours a day, which is plenty for water turnover, but I find that I have to run the SWG at 100% to keep up with FC. I'm burning through salt. I've tested the water multiple times in the past few weeks and the tests have shown no CC, so it doesn't seem like I need to shock. CYA is at 50.

Does this sound reasonable, or could there be contaminates that are somehow not showing up as CC? The water is clear, but we do have some water striders (insects) that tend to be attracted to algae. I'm confused.

Any help appreciated.

Not sure what that model produces but a similar Jandy cell produces 1.25lbs or 20 oz per 24 hour period. For 6 hours that would be 5oz. 5 oz in your 10k gallon pool adds 3.6 FC. That sounds reasonable. What is your CYA level?

Curious as to what you mean by “burning through salt”?
Salt level remains fairly constant unless exchanging water either by rain overflow, backwashing, or pumping to waste.

I have the same T-15 cell, with a larger pool at 28,000 gallons. I found that running the SWG at 60% x 12 hours (low speed) keeps the chlorine level stable. I have dropped from 3100 to 2900 ppm for salt in 2 1/2 months so I'm almost ready to add salt but have not done so yet.

Curious as to what you mean by “burning through salt”?
Salt level remains fairly constant unless exchanging water either by rain overflow, backwashing, or pumping to waste.

I've had to add two bags of salt in the last month. We've gotten a lot of rain lately so that's definitely a factor, but it seems like it's dropping faster than it should.

I've had to add two bags of salt in the last month. We've gotten a lot of rain lately so that's definitely a factor, but it seems like it's dropping faster than it should.

How are you measuring the salt level? The only test we recommend is the Taylor K-1766. Going by guess strips, the SWG readout screen or what a pool store tells you is not to be trusted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.