Montgomery Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
4 month old pool owner here . Been using pool math app to determine my chlorine levels according to my 45 cya level .Been trying to keep levels between 6 and 7 ppm witch is hard to do here in Texas . Seems like every day or 2 it drops to about 2ppm . Is that normal ?
Also what is the highest ppm level that is safe to swim in ?

Hey, welcome back!!

When testing CYA, you add to each line, look, add to next line. It is a logarithmic scale. Always do this. In your case we would round up to 50. You really should stay at the top of the range for 50 (7-8). This allows for those days that have more demand and you have some protection!

Normal, could be. Two days ago I had my pool, in Ohio, full sun, lose 4.5 FC. If you were at 6 and ended up at two. Quite reasonable. If you were at 8, would have ended up at 4 (safer).

You can safely and enjoyably swim up to SLAM level. For you at 50 CYA, that would be 20FC.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome back!!

When testing CYA, you add to each line, look, add to next line. It is a logarithmic scale. Always do this. In your case we would round up to 50. You really should stay at the top of the range for 50 (7-8). This allows for those days that have more demand and you have some protection!

Normal, could me. Two days ago I had my pool, in Ohio, full sun, lose 4.5 FC. If you were at 6 and ended up at two. Quite reasonable. If you were at 8, would have ended up at 4 (safer).

You can safely and enjoyably swim up to SLAM level. For you at 50 CYA, that would be 20FC.
Thank you sir

Looked at your pool. Mine is 30K gallons and has an 8' deep end. With all of your pool shallow? yeah you could lose lots. Run it at 8-9 and see how it works and how much you lose daily, note sun (I don't know, use a 1-4 scale), and how you like it. Certainly will keep you out of 2 territory which is a algae bloom waiting to happen. If my pool gets to a 3, it will cloud up...it starts fast here. You will learn how it behaves and where you need to keep it to keep it out of trouble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.