Chlorine, SWCG, and CYA

JameyG

Bronze Supporter
Feb 9, 2018
Orlando, FL
Hi experts -

I noticed a huge difference in my chlorine demand since raising my CYA to 80 according to the proper levels in the Chlorine/CYA chart. I just turned my SWCG on about 2 weeks ago, so I am trying to get it dialed in to keep my FC around 5-6 as per the chart.

Background: When I initially turned it on, I had a SWCG run time of about 6 hours at 60% of my IC40 output. CYA at this time was 30 since it was a liquid chlorine pool for the first 30 days. I thought I had it pretty dialed in, as FC was staying around 7, which I thought was not too far off from optimum.

Then I added 4+ pounds of CYA to get to 80...

Since then I noticed FC getting higher and higher (eventually up to 9) so I moved my IC40 ouyput down to 40% and shortened the run time via my mechanical timer to 5 hours. Still the FC didn't go down. I moved the runtime down down to like 2 hours, thinking it would drop down to 6 where I could re-evaulate proper settings. Still hovering around 7.5 -9.

I know it's called "chlorine stabilizer" but wow, it's like the pool isn't using nearly the amount of chlorine as it was before cranking CYA to 80. Just want to see if this is normal behavior? I dropped IC40 output to 20% this morning, and checked the FC this afternoon, still at 7.5.

I guess I shouldn't complain as most people on this forum seem to have the opposite problem (not enough FC) but is this the effects of CYA at 80? I assume once summer really gets into swing, I'll need to increase the runtime or output, but having it run at 20% output for 2 hours a day and still being above 6 seems crazy to me.

Interested to hear your thoughts...

One reason is just daily usage and burn off. A higher CYA will "hold on" to the FC from burn off. Especially somewhere sunny like FL. I saw someone test that they were getting 2 FC used a day at 30 CYA and only .5 FC a day when moving to 80. Sunny non-SWG pools states recommend up to 60 CYA to slow burn off. As long as you maintain the correct FC for your CYA you don't have to worry about algae and SLAM where you would be affected by the higher CYA.

The loss rate is usually proportional to the fc/cya ratio.

A 7 fc with a 30 CYA gives you an fc/cya of 23%.

23% of 80 is about 18.5.

So, to match the loss rate you would need to maintain the fc at 18.5.

In any case, you want to target an fc/cya of about 7.5%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.