Chlorine Storage (Power Powder Pro)

May 11, 2010
I was really excited to clear up some space in the tool shed by moving my Leslie's Power Powder Pro Chlorine container over by the pool pump, in the sun for the last half of the day. My excitement was squashed when my Leslie's tech told me that the stuff is sensitive to heat and storing out in the sun is a bad bad idea. This is a popular commercial product that I swear I have seen the red top in pool trucks driving around all day in the 100 degree Texas heat. He seemed to express the fear of an explosion or fire due to heat and combustion.... Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Someone should be along shortly to advise why with more specifics. But in general no, we don't recommend outdoor storage of chems. dark, controlled temp areas are better. Many use sheds, in general. I don't store my chems outdoors.

I don't really think that it would be dangerous. I probably still wouldn't do it though.

I remember reading somewhere on here that someone accidentally got a whole bucket of cal-hypo in their pool, and pushed their CH to somewhere above 1000!

Power Powder Pro is 73% cal-hypo. 73% cal-hypo is probably the most dangerous compound allowed in a retail environment.

50% or higher Cal-hypo should not be allowed to go above 125 degrees. If it does it can decompose rapidly, releasing poisonous chlorine gas and losing it's effectiveness. It is also a class three oxidizer, posing dramatic risks in a fire. At substantially higher temperatures it can explode, though that requires way more heat than just sunlight.

JasonLion said:
Power Powder Pro is 73% cal-hypo. 73% cal-hypo is probably the most dangerous compound allowed in a retail environment.

50% or higher Cal-hypo should not be allowed to go above 125 degrees. If it does it can decompose rapidly, releasing poisonous chlorine gas and losing it's effectiveness. It is also a class three oxidizer, posing dramatic risks in a fire. At substantially higher temperatures it can explode, though that requires way more heat than just sunlight.

Hmmm... Maybe I will leave it in the sun on one of our 110 degree days and measure it with my infrared thermometer to see if the bucket reaches 125 degrees... and tell the wife not to smoke by it. jk.. Thank you for your detailed and professional answer, sir.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.