Chlorine smell

Jaxpoolswimmer

Aug 8, 2022
Jacksonville florida
Hi all. Dave here new to the forum.

Had a pool for a year now and all gone fine. Just had wife’s family over for two weeks, kids must have pee’d in the pool and the smell of chlorine has now started to appear.

I have shocked the pool.

Still comes through.

Will it go on its own eventually or is there a method to clean those contaminants out and stop the chlorine smell?

Most people find themselves here needing to SLAM because of algae. Clearing the pee should be a lot easier than algae. But make sure you keep the FC at SLAM leves (based on your CYA level FC/CYA Levels). Note that pee has ammonia. Ammonia will consume a lot of chlorine. If your FC drops too low, you might have to battle algae too. Stay ahead of it.

I am not sure that some pee and chlorine smell will require a full SLAM. I would start with a proper test kit and then post a full set of results. At that point the experts here can give you some more precise advice.

Reactions: Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.