Chlorine Smell (and one weird reading) while SLAMMING for Algae

Sunny John

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Hello all, it's been quite some time since I posted here, and I attribute that to the excellent education and pool chemistry practices that I learned here some years ago. But now I have what I hope is a small problem.

Like many other posters, I have spots of algae here and there around the pool. They tend to be in the deep end, either on the walls or the hopper, though sometimes they occur on the walls across from the returns, on the shallow end. The pool water is crystal clear, and I've not had any CCs. I have played with the positioning of the returns a bit but that doesn't seem to make a difference
(maddeningly, they are on the same side of the pool as the skimmer. They return across the short width of the pool, north to south, and the prevailing wind is west to east. At least they are west of the skimmer!).

I decided to start a SLAM yesterday (guests coming this weekend). Prior to the SLAM, I vac'ed, and brushed. I was in the pool and also brushed along the water line up to the beading under the coping, the ladder rails and treads on the deep end, the underside of those treads, the wall behind the ladder, all around the underwater light housing, around the skimmer intake, and the "frame" around the entry steps into the pool.

CYA at the time was 40, TA 70, pH 7.5. I added bleach to reach SLAM level according to pool math, but testing an hour later, FC was 28! Well I can't do anything about that, so... this morning FC was 18. And there was a bit of a chlorine smell, which puzzled me because other articles here say that is due to chloramines, and my CC reading is consistenly 0. And I didn't detect this odor prior to the start of the SLAM.

Around noon, FC was 13, so I added bleach to get to 18. Around 5:30 PM, FC was 11, so again, I added bleach based on pool math. There was again, a slight whiff of chlorine. I am vac'ing and brushing and will test again in a bit. During the day today, some of the algae did return. Pressure on filter doesn't indicate it's time for a backwash (I did that a couple weeks ago), though it might not be a bad idea to do it again.

I will check again in a bit and top off if needed and of course check tomorrow AM. Just curious about these slight anomalies.
Also, I have a variable speed pump, and I'm wondering if I should be running it on a higher speed (currently on 2 of 4). I am running it half skimmer/half drain.

Any comments or adjustments are welcome!

Hey you are doing right by following the SLAM process. You do not have a TFP clear pool if you have visible algae on pool walls. With a properly clean pool with correct and maintained FC level there will be zero algae. During this process you may need to backwash again as your filter will become clogged with dead algae so it is ok to backwash again. Also increasing your pump speed will have no effect or help to speed this up. Keep FC at SLAM level through out the day and one last time right as the sun sets. Once you see no algae and FC drop has been reduced during the day perform a overnight chlorine loss test and report back. Good Luck!

I believe you probably had more algae than you realized. Hence, some noticeable chlorine smell and fairly significant drop in FC. No big deal in either case. Continue your SLAM.

Personal preference, but I would increase the pump speed. Not to MAX but enough to speed up the circulation. With the FC additions you are making and the algae you are killing, you are making some significant changes in your chemistry and those changes are probably best augmented by increased circulation.

Reactions: Sunny John
Well after a couple more days of SLAM, the problem is gone! Lesson learned: despite the subtle differences here and there from my and other posters about various algae problems, SLAM is right way to go and addresses many, if not all algae related issues. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.