Chlorine resistant algae or something else?

We have a 10 year old concrete/plaster pool with a Pentair chlorine generator and automatic cover. For the first 9 years, it was virtually maintenance free. (Acid once a week was about it.)

Because it was covered 90% of the time, I didn’t use CYA but monitored the chlorine carefully.

This year was different. When I opened the pool in the spring, I noticed dark discoloration on the metal pool light trim. It wiped off easily so I pulled the lights and discovered a bunch of nasty blackish algae behind them.

I think it is important to note that at no time was the pool anything other than crystal clear.

I shocked the pool and everything seemed ok for about 2 weeks. I also noticed the pool light trim had deteriorated so replaced them.

Due to grandchildren getting older and learning how to swim, I decided it was time to start using CYA because the pool would be open more. I keep the concentration low (30-40 ppm) even though there is a chlorine generate because the pool is still covered the majority of the time.

About 2 weeks later, I noticed some yellowish algae-like stuff on the surface of the metal light trim.
I had also found troublefreepool.com so followed the SLAM protocol.

Everything was fine for another 2 weeks or so when the algae-like stuff appeared again. I pulled the lights and discovered some algae living in the light conduits. I sealed the conduits with a combination of plug and pool putty. I SLAMed again and treated at mustard level for 24 hours.

After that, I maintained a chlorine level of 8-10 ppm, well above the mustard inhibition level for my CYA concentration. It seems like every couple weeks I get the algae-like stuff around the lights and have to SLAM again.

I was in the pool yesterday, and noticed the algae-like stuff is back on one light. I ran an OCLT overnight and there was no loss of chlorine (10 ppm).

At this point, I’m at a loss. The situation is manageable but I don’t understand it.

1) How can I still get algae growing at this chlorine level?
2) Why only around the lights? (Never, ever on the pool itself.)
3) Can algae penetrate the pool light gasket and act as a chlorine-resistant reservoir?
4) Is it possible that this is NOT algae but something else entirely?
5) I’ve had to add almost no acid this year. For the previous 9 years, I had to add it weekly.
6) I've tried to get the TA down to <80 ppm but it has proved difficult. The pool pH almost never goes above 7.4 even though I use an aerator

Any insight would be appreciated.

FC 10.0
pH 7.3
TA 90
CH 475
CYA 30-40
SALT 3500

Jim:

Welcome to the forum and please add your signature. It appears that you have circulation issues in certain "dead spots". Not once have you mentioned that you brush regularly. If you brush at least twice per week, you should be able to get rid of the problem you are faced with. It seems like algae will thrive only in this area. You must clean real well, and then maintain the area with regular brushing. Thanks!

PS: Do you own the TF-100 Kit? Also, why would you want to lower your TA if you PH is stable? Anything from 7.2 - 7.8 is fine. Pools are funny as sometimes they like a certain PH and it stays there. You would have to raise your TA is you want your PH higher, but you are perfectly fine at 7.4. Maintain your CSI as your CH is high as well. Thanks!

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.