Chlorine question

SteveK52

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2019
Taylors South Carolina
We will be leaving for a month or two next week and have placed a solar cover on our pool and reduced pump run time from 12 hours to 8 hours a day. I'm assuming with the cover that the chlorine level will stay the same without the SWG running. Am I correct, and any suggestions on other things to do before leaving? I have a backup generator and the freeze mode is working properly. Thanks in advance.
Steve

I would set the pump timer to run only at night. This is helpful on nights that will go below freezing. Eight hours is more than you need, IMO. The SWG probably won't be working (if it even still is?) in such cold water. Will anyone be checking on the pool in that time?

Maddie :flower:

Maddie,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
The SWG still works on some days, however, I plan on turning it off if there will be no loss of chlorine with the solar cover is on. No one will be checking on the pool as there is no one in the neighborhood that I would trust to monitor it.

Unless the cover is opaque you will likely still lose some chlorine, but what is your water temp? If you are 60ish or below, you should not have to worry about keeping chlorine up (assuming no one is swimming).

One or two months is a long time to leave a pool unattended. The chlorine WILL go down. If you have determined to leave it alone for that long, bring the FC up to SLAM value and it will probably be fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.