Chlorine question

Jun 13, 2018
Clinton TN
Just started doing TFPC about two weeks ago. Tues and Wed of this week had heavy rain. Yesterday was sunny have some other things going on so I added chlorine wed night not able to do anything Thursday then was home last night. Tested using my TF 100. Results were Ph 7.8 FC 5.5 CC 0. My CYA was 50. I used pool math added 2 quarts of 10% LC tested 1.5 hours later had 6.5 FC should be 8. This morning got up and tested before sun was on the pool got

FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.8
CH 225
TA 70
CYA 50

There was some stuff around the bottom drain and a few spots in the pool. This morning after testing vacuumed entire pool including walls added MA to get PH back to 7.5
So my question is did the stuff in my pool eat the LC in the 1.5 hours then no change or did my LC loose strength. I bought it Tues Jun 19 the date on bottles was 152 so June 1. At big box store was in lawn and garden was shaded from sun. I store it in my garage temps probably max out in md 80s. Would that degrade the LC enough. I bought 6 gallons in 1 gallon jugs I use 2-3 quarts a day.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Your LC should not be significantly degraded.

If you see 'stuff' on the bottom of your pool that 'poofs' away easily, that is dead algae. So at some time your FC dropped below minimum in some part of your pool long enough that algae took hold.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to see if a SLAM Process is required.

Take care.

Welcome :p

Just a little trick I learned to do when I get a new batch of chlorine.
1. After testing FC in the early morning and plugging that number into Pool Math, I add the amount it says, and then retest 1/2 hour or so later to see if it got me to my target.

2. If it is different, I enter that reading as my target, then adjust the pool volume until the amount it says to add equals what I actually added.

3. Re-enter your original target number and you should be good to go for that batch of chlorine (or bleach) from here on out

Hope this might work for you! ;) It saved me a ton of headaches second guessing myself. Good Luck !!!

P.S. You will need to enter your original pool volume for other chemical additions. My trick is ONLY for the FC readings

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.