LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm looking for the chlorine price per ounce chart and the old link is no longer working. I have read it is available on the TFP app but I am unable to use apps on my laptop.
Is there somewhere else I can find it to use it. I need to buy more chlorine and I want to compare the prices from different places and different %'s. Thanks

Thanks but I was looking for this: http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/ which no longer works. Its described as "chlorine price per ounce calculator. Chlorine Price Calculator
It compared the prices of liquid chlorine to see what you pay per ounce. It figured something like: the % of chlorine and the ounces that would give you how much you are actually paying for the chlorine. Usually in the past it showed ~25 cents per ounce or something like that was a good price.
So for example a 121 oz bottle of 6% price compared to 128 oz bottle of 12.5% price, would show which one was actually the better value.

I must be oversimplifying the chlorine calculation. I see 6% sodium hypochlorite in HEB "concentrated" bleach for $2.67 a gallon. Then I see 12.5% sodium hypochlorite in Leslie's for $4 a gallon. So (2.67 / 6) X 12.5 = $5.56 for HEB equivalent to Leslie's. Walmart's pool chlorine is $3.64 for 10% sodium hypochlorite. (3.64/10) X 12.5 = $4.55 for Walmart equivalent to Leslie's. As long as my nearby Leslie's sticks to $15.99 for a box of four 1-gallon 12.5%, it seems like I am OK. I have a hard enough time distinguishing colors in the TFT100 chlorine and pH tests and "when did the black dot disappear in the CYA test. I'd like to just say Leslie's has a decent price for chlorine, and they're nearby. I'm still pretty new at this, though, so is there something I'm missing?

What I'd really like to see is 3" chlorine pucks with -0- CYA.

I must be oversimplifying the chlorine calculation. I see 6% sodium hypochlorite in HEB "concentrated" bleach for $2.67 a gallon. Then I see 12.5% sodium hypochlorite in Leslie's for $4 a gallon. So (2.67 / 6) X 12.5 = $5.56 for HEB equivalent to Leslie's. Walmart's pool chlorine is $3.64 for 10% sodium hypochlorite. (3.64/10) X 12.5 = $4.55 for Walmart equivalent to Leslie's. As long as my nearby Leslie's sticks to $15.99 for a box of four 1-gallon 12.5%, it seems like I am OK. I have a hard enough time distinguishing colors in the TFT100 chlorine and pH tests and "when did the black dot disappear in the CYA test. I'd like to just say Leslie's has a decent price for chlorine, and they're nearby. I'm still pretty new at this, though, so is there something I'm missing?
I did not know the calculations used and how to do it. Thank you.
What is HEB?
So I think you're saying: 2.67/6= .445 price per % chlorine. Then take .445 X the amount of any concentration of any bottle of chlorine which would give me the equivalent compared to any other place to buy it. ?
If the jug size varies i.e. 121 oz of 6% at Aldi, vs 128 oz of 12.5% at pool store, this would change things a bit. So this calculation would work if the ounces are the same. It seems I would also have to take into account ounces in the jug to = price per once per % concentration. Then take % concentration / ounces in the jug to = the exact price of the concentration per ounce for that bottle. Then do the same with other bottles. Am I over doing it? Math is not one of my strong suits. lol
So in working this out:
HEB: $2.67/6% = 44.5/128 oz = .3477 per % per oz or 2.67/128 oz = .0208 price per oz/6% = .3477 per oz
Walmart: $3.64/128 oz = .0284 per oz/10% = .2844 per oz
Leslie's: $15.99/4 = $3.9975/128 oz = .0312/12.5% = .2498 per oz

Aldi: $2.59/121 oz = .0214 per oz/6% = .3567 per oz
Pool store: $12.99 (special sale)/4 = $3.2475/128 oz = .02537 per oz/12.5% = .2029 per oz
Pool store: $17.99 (regular price)/4 = $4.4975/128 oz = .03514 per oz/12.5% = .2811 per oz

So the formula used is:
Cost of jug / oz = price per oz / % concentration = price based on % of solution per oz.

If my calculations are correct, the better price is Leslie's where you live, as you said.
I always thought Aldi was a great price until I noticed it was only 121 oz jug. So if Walmart and Leslie's is standard across the country, they are cheaper than Aldi. Our local pool store at full price is cheaper than Aldi! But we also know higher concentrations of chlorine degrade faster than lower concentrations. So it seems the better value would be Walmart over our pool store if it needs to be stored for any length of time, and only buy 12.5% if it will be stored in a cool place and used fairly quickly.

So BowserB, thank you for getting me started and helping me figure out my own chlorine price comparison chart. :cool:
I hope I got this right.

Rural King Supply is a farm supply store based in Mattoon, Illinois, United States. Founded in 1960, it now has 109 stores in the U.S. states of Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Alabama. While they've dropped the concentration of their pool shock from 12.5 to 10% in the last year, a box of 4 1gl. jugs (128 oz) costs $9.99 or $.195/oz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rural King Supply is a farm supply store based in Mattoon, Illinois, United States. Founded in 1960, it now has 109 stores in the U.S. states of Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Alabama. While they've dropped the concentration of their pool shock from 12.5 to 10% in the last year, a box of 4 1gl. jugs (128 oz) costs $9.99 or $.195/oz
Thanks. The closest one to me is in Hartland which is about an hour away. It could work. :unsure: :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.