Chlorine orange

May 12, 2018
Cincinnati Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have a tf100 but got away from checking it myself and hubby told pool boy son to keep putting three tri chlor tabs in chlorinate every time running low. Now pool chlorine is well over 20. Maybe higher. I Haven’t done anything but a basic oh test which now shows 6.8. Yikes. Not sure if other testing would even be useful. Btw my r-0870 powder is purple. Thought it used to be white. The chlorine only vial is dark purple when I put the scoop in and I can get to sixty drops with little change of color. The Taylor test shows orange. I stopped adding chlorine four days ago and no change. I thought the sun would help this. Hubby lowered pool a couple inches to add fresh water but obviously that wasn’t enough. Lol. Help would be appreciated.

Okay, so you've gotten a bit off course with testing. Let's get you back on track. Please post a full set of TF-100 results as follows:
FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

If you haven't done so already, remove the chlorine tabs. Even though the powder is purple, go ahead an use it as well. With a full set of numbers we can better guide you. Thanks.

So I went ahead and did it all traditional way and used less 0870 but it still turned plenty pink but at least not purple sludge. So here are the results.

Attachments

• 1983C5D4-3AFF-4E7F-AA1F-FA3834608B4A.png
    1983C5D4-3AFF-4E7F-AA1F-FA3834608B4A.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 12
If you cannot read link it is
FC 26
CC 2
PH 6.8 or maybe a little less
TA 50
CH 150
CYA 110
Pool is surrounded by trees but gets hours of sun daily and is brushed fairly often at least every other day and dolphin used a few times a week. Sand filter and vinyl walls

I was planning to wait for chlorine to go down to re test for ph etc but since it doesn’t seem to be declining quickly wondered if I should go ahead with borax and baking soda and if so if there is an order for adding those. Also wondering if we can swim now.

Thanks for the updated numbers. So here's the situation(s):
1. Your FC isn't crazy high because your stabilizer (CYA) helps to provide all the conditioning/buffering you need. In fact, your FC could be higher without a problem.
2. Here's the real problem - the CYA is too high and the pH is too low. That's all because of the chlorine tabs. Tabs are acidic which lowers the pH and TA, then the stabilizer in each puck increases the CYA too high.

My recommendation - exchange some water now if you can. If you change half the water, it will lower the CYA bby 50%. Your CYA may be higher than 110, so if you change 50% of the water, don't be surprised if the CYA is still around 60-70. But you need to do that first as to not waste chemicals.

Once you get the CYA to around 50-70, then balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels using liquid chlorine. No more tabs. Then test the pH and TA. The TA should be no lower than 50, and the pH needs to be back into the mid-7 range. If the pH is low, you can increase it with borax, soda ash, and/or aeration. Borax is usually the best choice.

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leave at least 12-18" of water in the shallow end before refilling. You may have to do it twice depending on how your CYA Test results look after the first drain/refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.