Chlorine Loss

May 30, 2017
Ramer
How much chlorine should I lose in a day? I am just coming off a SLAM and trying to maintain a 5ppm level of FC. After letting it drift back down to a 5, I am losing 3-4 ppm per day of FC. I check it every evening just before dark, the first day after the SLAM it dropped to a 3 and I left it alone, the next evening it was 1.5 so I brought it back to a 5, yesterday dropped to 2 so I brought it to 5 and added stabilizer to go from a CYA of 35 up to 45 after bringing the pH back to 7.5 from 7.7. It was of no help as today the FC checked in at a 1. Should I be losing that much chlorine per day? If not, what could be the cause or solution?

Depends on a lot of things. Is the pool being used heavily? Is it in full sun and uncovered? Lots of tree stuff falling in it?

Best way to know if you've got the beginning of algae is to perform an OCLT test. Did you pass one before you stopped slamming? You have dropped below 2 ppm a couple times, so it's possible you have something growing again.

I lose about 3ppm every day, but I keep the pool covered whenever it's not in use with a dark solar cover.

I have been in it one time to clean the drains of leaves after a big wind came through. It gets full sun 6-8 hrs a day. No tree stuff other than the random east wind storm a few days ago. I did perform an OCLT and had 0 FC loss overnight, which was less than a week ago. I'll perform another tomorrow night and see where I stand. The water has remained crystal clear ever since the SLAM and I have ran the filter continuously thusfar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.