Chlorine loss with SLAM

Oct 6, 2018
Bay City, MI
About a week ago we had 4 teenagers in the hot tub for a few hours. I didn’t add any chlorine before they got in (stupid me) after they got out I checked it and the FC was 0. I immediately brought it to shock level of 12. Next morning I had cloudy water. Over the next few days I have been bringing it back to 12 ppm. On average it’s was loosing around 7 to 9 ppm in a 9 to 12 hour period every day. The last three days it’s been loosing about 5 ppm in a 20 hour period. Is this right to still be loosing this much or does the lower the chlorine level gets is reflect a lower loss over time? The water at this time maybe has a slight haze to it but nowhere what it was like when I started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On average it’s was loosing around 7 to 9 ppm in a 9 to 12 hour period every day. The last three days it’s been loosing about 5 ppm in a 20 hour period.
Chief, that is a significant amount of FC to lose in such a short period. Four teenagers? I can't help but wonder if they spilled something or introduced anything else into the water (i.e. body washes/oils, etc) resulting in such large FC loss. Have you cleaned the filter as well? What are you using to increase the FC?

At some point, it may more economical to dump and start over. If it's been a while since you did an Ahh-some treatment, that might be a good time to do one as well to ensure whatever is eating that chlorine gets removed.

I am using 12.5 liquid chlorine. Should I be using something else?
That should be fine. Seems odd to have such a large FC loss though. I'm assuming you have a CYA of at least 30? Is the tub usually covered, or are you leaving the water exposed during this SLAM?

Can you shut your ozone off? Ozone will distroy FC and make a FC loss measurement impossible to do.

Although that said, the hazy water indicates something is in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.