Chlorine Levels in relation to CYA Question

So second day of SLAM and numbers are the following:
7:00am. FC 10 Added 2 gal LC at 11am (Had to run to pool store)
12:30pm FC 19
3:30pm. FC 13. Added 1.3 gal
6:00pm. FC 21
9:30pm. FC 16 Added 1/2 gal + LC
Will check again before bed.

Still loosing about 6 ppm every 3 hours. Let’s see how it goes overnight. Can’t believe how much chlorine it’s taking. Is it normal to use over 20 gal of LC when no visible algae?
Upside is the new light is in and the water sparkles.

Last edited:
You're still basing your FC level (20) off of a CYA of 50 correct? You are burning through some chlorine, I'll give you that. But for day 2 it's still early, even if it's not a swamp. Maybe tomorrow post a pic of your water, and one each day thereafter so we can monitor the progress?

So second day of SLAM and numbers are the following:
7:00am. FC 10 Added 2 gal LC at 11am (Had to run to pool store)
12:30pm FC 19
3:30pm. FC 13. Added 1.3 gal
6:00pm. FC 21
9:30pm. FC 16 Added 1/2 gal + LC
Will check again before bed.

Still loosing about 6 ppm every 3 hours. Let’s see how it goes overnight. Can’t believe how much chlorine it’s taking. Is it normal to use over 20 gal of LC when no visible algae?
Upside is the new light is in and the water sparkles.
The chlorine is consuming something or it would still be in the water.

You're still basing your FC level (20) off of a CYA of 50 correct? You are burning through some chlorine, I'll give you that. But for day 2 it's still early, even if it's not a swamp. Maybe tomorrow post a pic of your water, and one each day thereafter so we can monitor the progress?
Hey Texas - yep target is 20ppm. I thought it was a lot of LC too. As I mentioned, the water is crystal clear. I’ll send a pic tomorrow.
I have the swg turned off per tfp recommendation. I assume to keep it off until levels stabilize? Also what about the heater. Will that affect the process? Wife wants to swim tomorrow and likes it warm.

Heater can be on, SLAM won’t affect it. Check other potential hiding places for algae - ladders, skimmer throat, weir door.

So first check at 7:30 this morning, FC is down to 14ppm, down from 20ppm last night. Not as bad a drop as the day before. Added another gallon. Going to be sunny all day, so will need to factor that in. Hopefully getting there.

So you've lost 6ppm between measurements last night and this morning with no sun hitting the pool?
That’s correct IceShadow. Checked it at 1:30pm and it was at 15ppm. Didn’t get a chance to add more LC. Last check at 3pm and it was at 14. So maybe stabilizing a bit? Added another gallon which should get me back to 20ppm. I’ll check it again shortly.
Just doesn’t seem right. Added some pics to show water clarity.
Going out of town tomorrow for 2 days. Hopefully it stabilizes by morning. Will put SWG on 100% and keep my fingers crossed.

Attachments

• F5DFA557-8145-4AD2-8145-9744FFD4E310.jpeg
    F5DFA557-8145-4AD2-8145-9744FFD4E310.jpeg
    780.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FA85C7F4-E287-4AF9-A798-5A0BB24C1039.jpeg
    FA85C7F4-E287-4AF9-A798-5A0BB24C1039.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 7
If you lost 6ppm of FC with no sun on the pool then it is being consumed by something else. The likely culprit is algae. I would check your ladders, skimmer throat, weir door. Is that a light in the deep end? That might be hiding algae too. I would start the SLAM Process until you are passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

edit: looks like you already addressed the light, so that should be set

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back again. Been away for days and here’s where I’m at. 10:30pm Wed night FC was at 20ppm. When leaving Thursday am it was down to 16ppm. Put the SWG on at 80% and went to the beach. Came back Friday at 4:30pm and FC was at 10ppm. This morning it’s at 8. It’s been very sunny the past couple days also. Water is still crystal clear and sparkling.
My hope is that the SWG will hold keep it around 6ppm and I’ll be happy. If it starts to drop again I may need to do another SLAM. Still don’t understand how I used so much LC. Thanks for all the feedback from the group. Happy swimming and Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!

Back again. Been away for days and here’s where I’m at. 10:30pm Wed night FC was at 20ppm. When leaving Thursday am it was down to 16ppm. Put the SWG on at 80% and went to the beach. Came back Friday at 4:30pm and FC was at 10ppm. This morning it’s at 8. It’s been very sunny the past couple days also. Water is still crystal clear and sparkling.
My hope is that the SWG will hold keep it around 6ppm and I’ll be happy. If it starts to drop again I may need to do another SLAM. Still don’t understand how I used so much LC. Thanks for all the feedback from the group. Happy swimming and Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!
If it’s still dropping 2ppm per day, it’s there a way to increase the run time? You want to set it up so that you can tweak the output in small increments to adjust and losing that much FC so fast will take a large adjustment to counteract.

Edit - I rechecked and FC is at 10ppm, so holding pretty good. I did up run time to 12 hours. I will also take apart the de filter and clean that tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.