Chlorine levels according to the Chlorine/CYA chart

May 18, 2018
Cross Lanes, WV
Hello all. I began my time here this week as a new member by reading everything I felt was relevant in Pool School, including basic pool chemistry and chemicals.

According to the chart, since my CYA is at 50, my target FC level should be between 6-8. I had a tad bit of white mold (I think - looked like shredded tissue paper) in my pool when I opened it this last week (I just bought this house last year). I read to triple or quadruple shock to get rid of it, so I did. I did an overnight FC loss test last night, and didn't lose any FC at all (went to bed at 15.5, woke up at the same). Since it was still that high, I read about safe levels of FC for swimming. I read that one shouldn't swim at all when FC is greater than 10.

This brings me to my question. Since the chart shows my target FC range is 6-8ppm, but one shouldn't swim if it's over 10ppm, I'm assuming that leaves me a small window within which to keep my FC levels? Also, with that suggested range of 6-8ppm, would there still be some irritation to the eyes and skin? Aside from the chart, I've read elsewhere the suggested ranges for FC is anywhere from 1-4.

Any thoughts that may help, please reply. Thanks!

I read to triple or quadruple shock to get rid of it, so I did.

I read that one shouldn't swim at all when FC is greater than 10.

Also, with that suggested range of 6-8ppm, would there still be some irritation to the eyes and skin? Aside from the chart, I've read elsewhere the suggested ranges for FC is anywhere from 1-4.

Well, you didn't read any of those things here and mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just a recipe for disaster.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

Well, you didn't read any of those things here and mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just a recipe for disaster.

ABCs of Water Chemistry

So, welcome to TFP!!

Correct, I googled about the mold before finding TFP. I have since, but before posting here, read all of those articles from top to bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

ABCs of Water Chemistry

So, welcome to TFP!!

Correct, I googled about the mold before finding TFP. I have since, but before posting here, read all of those articles from top to bottom.

Ignore the other places. Most of them are just repeating stuff that has been scientifically dis-proven.

CYA is a buffer to effects of chlorine. As long as you keep your FC in the correct ratio to CYA you water will be fine. As a matter of fact, it will be better than water with no CYA and a FC of 1. Actually, what causes most people to be uncomfortable in the water is not the chlorine at all, it's the pH of the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this because the CYA is holding some of the FC in reserve? May I ask what level of FC is suggested not to exceed while swimming with CYA levels of 50?

Yes, it is buffered by the CYA

It is safe to swim in water up to the shock level of the pool, for 50 CYA that is 20 FC

When I took over my pool the CYA was about 250 and I had to keep my FC at 20 as a target, not even the shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.