DIYLinerPool

Sep 28, 2020
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All - closing up pool in the next couple weeks - I read the article on here about closing where it talks about a couple days before closing you bring the FC up to SLAM level, let it drift down over a couple days then continue the process to close. Anyone on here follow this with an autocover? Just wasnt sure if closing the autocover when the chlorine levels are that high are bad for it.

Also, I wasnt planning on using any polyquat algicide since I have the auto cover and light doesnt get through, this correct?

Thanks for the help

No, mine is a retrofit so it sits on top of the deck.
Ok thanks, just curious. Mine is under coping and at the front edge when the cover is closed there are little gaps in each corner where i can see the water, just wondering if people figure out something to plug these gaps for the winter to not let debris get in.

Ok thanks, just curious. Mine is under coping and at the front edge when the cover is closed there are little gaps in each corner where i can see the water, just wondering if people figure out something to plug these gaps for the winter to not let debris get in.
Hi, we are in Chicago area too. Have you used your autocover as winter cover? Do you bring up to slam level before closing and how is that going? We just finished building our pool few weeks ago.

We're in Ohio - we don't use the autocover as a winter cover - we keep the cover in the open position and use a solid winter cover. Not sure what is best - wear and tear on the autocover from snow/ice/winter elements versus the cost of the winter cover/taps etc.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
We're in Ohio - we don't use the autocover as a winter cover - we keep the cover in the open position and use a solid winter cover. Not sure what is best - wear and tear on the autocover from snow/ice/winter elements versus the cost of the winter cover/taps etc.
Yes I have heard from both sides regarding autocover ok as winter cover vs not. Our neighbors have a 5 year old pool and use autocover as winter cover successfully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.