Chlorine High/SWG Off

Feb 20, 2017
Cochran GA
Hi everyone,

I'll start with my readings that I took tonight using my TF–100 kit.

PH 7.2
FC 30
CC 0-.5
TC 30-30.5
CH 300
TA 120
CYA 55

I'd say my main concern is my chlorine level being at 30 ppm, I've had my salt water generator turned off now for, I'd say a couple weeks. Now I've just received my TF-100 kit today so I'll test my free chlorine level again tomorrow to see if it's actually going down early. ( but I strongly suspect that it is not going down) In the meantime, I took my solar blanket off tonight and I'm leaving my pool running overnight hoping that'll move around the water a little bit, maybe help with evaporation and chlorine loss.

is it possible for a SWG to make chlorine, powered off completely?

Thanks for any help,

Eric

Eric,

Something does not seem right.... :confused:

With your SWCG off it will not produce any chlorine. I would also suspect that if your FC was really 30 your pH test (which is invalid when the FC is above 10 ppm) would be a lot higher than 7.2???

1. Please tell us exactly how you are testing your FC..

2. What was your SWCG percent of output?

3. How long were you running your pump?

4. Have you been adding additional Chlorine manually?

I suggest you retest your FC reading to ensure you are doing the tests correctly.

I also suggest that you run for a couple of days without your cover on and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

1. Using the drop test included in the TF-100 kit (I'll retest tomorrow after work, maybe before if I have a few extra minutes. (I used the laminated directions, also I have a speed stir that I used.)

2. My SWG has 6 levels of chlorine output, Before I noticed my chlorine spike, I kept my SWG on level 3 of 6. After I noticed my chlorine levels rising, I reduced it by 1, then shut it off all together to try to get in in check. That was atkeast a couple of weeks ago.

3. I was and continue to run my pump 8 hrs daily. 11am to 7pm.

4. I've not been adding any chlorine manually.

i went out and turned my water feature on, turned off my timer and uncovered the pool.

i will definitely try to retest before work.

Thanks Jim,

Eric

Hey Jim,

Approximately 5-6 weeks ago I reduced it from 50% to 33% as soon as I noticed my levels rising. At the time it was very cold out, 30's overnight 50's daytime (winter in GA). Approximately 2-3 weeks ago I turned my SWG off, kept pool running 8 hrs daily.

I just got my solar blanket a couple weeks ago when I got my heat pump. Blanket has been on ever day since, not running heat pump at all right now.

So last 2-3 weeks, no SWG, running pump 8hrs daily, using solar blanket. (Yes running with solar blanket on)

starting tonight, turned water features back on, uncovered pool, not turning off pump. (For now)

The he SWG the PB installed is for an "up to" 40,000 GAL pool, I can't imagine it'd make a difference if I moniter the output.

Eric

Eric,

This time a year, pools don't use a lot of chlorine, so because you have a small pool in relation to the SWCG size, I can see why the FC is so high now.

I'd just leave the SWCG and the cover off for a few days and let the FC drop over time..

Once the FC drops below 10 ppm you can turn your SWCG back on, but I would start out at "level 1" and see how that works. Once it gets warmer, and the days get longer, you will have to increase the percentage.

It is good, by the way, to have a large SWCG because you can run it at a lower output level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Eric, I also have a relatively large salt cell for the size of my pool. I rarely ever go over 20%, and I'm not running it 8 hours a day either.

Keeping it covered also keeps the FC in and protected from the sun. I open up the autocover every few days just to let the pool "breath" a bit and allow the gases to dissipate from under the cover.

Use a 10cc sample of pool water, one heaping scoop of powder and then when you add your drops of 0871 reagent and get your final count-just divide by 2 and that's your FC level.

Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.