Chlorine generators and chloramines

holden94

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Jan 7, 2011
Hello all,
I continue to see claims by both manufactures of these products (electrolytic chlorine generators) as well as some trade groups, that these systems eliminate or at least minimize the formation of chloramines. Here is an example taken from APSP fact sheet. "The chlorine that’s produced sanitizes the pool water and destroys contaminants such as those found in sweat, urine and wind-blown debris" I would expect that kind of promotion by manufactures but I am wondering if their is any peer review science that backs these claims up?

Thanks

The formation of chloramines, and disinfection by-products (DBPs) in general, is not function how how the chlorine is produced or introduced into the pools but rather by the details of how much free chlorine is in the water as well as cyanuric acid levels (and, to a lesser extent, pH). When FC is high and CYA is low, you get a different mix of CCs than when the FC is lower and the CYA is higher.

Typically, in SWG pools, if they follow the recommended levels that manufacturers set (FC between 1 and 4ppm with a CYA above 70ppm), the amount of active chlorine in the water will be quite low and this favors the formation of monochloramine. Monochloramine itself is an algaecide and biostat and is easily removed form the water via outgassing and UV photolysis. So pools operated under these conditions will tend to have low CC levels.

In general though, those specific claims made by manufacturers of SWGs is just the typical marketing Baloney Sandwich that is about half-true and thus doesn't violate FTC false advertising laws....

"The chlorine that’s produced sanitizes the pool water and destroys contaminants such as those found in sweat, urine and wind-blown debris"

This specific quote doesn't say "minimize or eliminate formation of chloramines" to me at all. It simply says that the chlorine will oxidize ureas, lactic acids, amino acids, nitrogen compounds... etc. All chlorine does that. It's more stating the obvious than anything new or dishonest. Do you have a link to the APSP sheet itself?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.