Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
hello all - my chlorine will not last in my pool. My #'s are as follows:

CYA= 35
CC=0
CH= 330
TA=90
PH=7.3

I have plenty of CYA and it hasn't been hot here. Don't know what to think..... Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
chlorine is zero. I added chlorine last night

Even in a pristine pool with no swimmers, you're going to lose about 2 FC per day, minimum. Up to 4 is nothing exceptional. It may be cool, or even overcast, but if UV is getting through, you;re losing chlorine. I can attest that it is possible to get a crippling sunburn even on an overcast day. The UV finds a way through.

Raising CYA to 50 should help a little.

Have not tested for overnight loss. all the chlorine is lost within 24 hours
But how much is that? If you add only 3 ppm and it;s all gone in 24 hours with 35 CYA, that's hardly worth getting excited about. If you added 20 FC and it all got used up in 24, there's a problem. How much cal-hypo are you adding?

And is it fresh stuff? Not all clumped up? Can you smell the fumes? No chance it got wet over the winter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But how much is that? If you add only 3 ppm and it;s all gone in 24 hours with 35 CYA, that's hardly worth getting excited about. If you added 20 FC and it all got used up in 24, there's a problem. How much cal-hypo ar e you adding?

And is it fresh stuff? Not all clumped up? Can you smell the fumes? No chance it got wet over the winter?
Yesterday I added 10 ppm, just a few minutes ago I added another 15ppm. Not sure why all 10 ppm of cal hypo evaporated. Could it be a bad batch of chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.