"Chlorine Block"

I added 3 lbs. of stabilizer snd it's almost dissolved. That's what it said to bring the cya up the 20ppm that I needed. I tested the cya and I still can see the black dot but it's blurry when the tube is completely filled so I'm thinking it's maybe around 10ppm. The alkalinity is 100, ph7.5 abs free chlorine 3, cc .5 so total chlorine 3.5. Should I add two or three strikes of shock tonight and see what the level is tomorrow? If my cya isn't high enough adding the shock is not going to help so should I add what I hsve left, which is 1lb., to the skimmer to bring it up? Thank you.

Wait at least 24-48 hours after adding stabilizer to test for the CYA level.
Assume what you put in the pool is in the pool.

What is the volume of your pool? Please fill out your signature. That information helps us help you.

1 gallon of 10% bleach will add 7.5ppm FC to a 15000 gallon pool.

Please fill out your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, isn't that my signature? What else is supposed to be in there?

So I just tested my water for evening. FC 6.0, was 9.5 this morning, CC is 0.5, TC 6.5; I vacuumed the pool and we just cleaned the filter. The cya is around 17-18 and that's after about 48hours. There are still about 4 tablets in the automatic chlorinator I think. The filter has been running constantly.

Ok. I was waiting to make sure that's what I should do. Should I do anything about the cya? The pool is starting to look cleaner now that there's some chlorine in it. How many times a day should I test the chlorine?

I would try for testing at least 4 times a day during the SLAM.

As for your CYA, give that a few days for it to dissolve before you test for CYA. Note that I see you also cleaned your filter right after adding the CYA. Hopefully it was all dissolved in the sock prior to making it to the filter, but sometimes the filter catches some of the CYA and sits there for a few days dissolving. Cleaning your filter right away could have also taken some of the undissolved CYA with it. Not a huge deal, but just keep an eye on your CYA being lower than you expect when you test.

Reactions: JEM31
Good morning. Just an update and a question. My cya is a little over 30 which is good becsuse that's where it's supposed to be and I was finally getting my pool clean of all the algae. Chlorine was still being eaten up but not as quickly so I was adding smaller amounts of chlorine each time and having to vacuum up less and less dead algae. Then last night we got hit with a marker storm. So my FC this morning is 5.5 and iis starting to turn a very little green. These app said to put in a gallon of shock but my question is... iis starting to rain here again so do I wait til it stops raining? Im afraid that I'll be back at square one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.