Chlorine and Stabilizer

Jun 19, 2017
Levittown
I have done some looking and i found this chart http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html#a but i just want to make sure i understand everything correctly. I have an 8,400 gallon pool, salt water. I have just opened it up this year and the water was completely green. I have dumped probably 10 gallons of bleach over the last few weeks until i really started reading this site in hopes to fully understand. I have now adjusted my stabilizer up to 70 but i see it suggests shocking the pool is FC of 28.

I guess my questions is with the high stabilizer wont it take forever for my pool to come down to a safe FC swimming level?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: So you found green water, then learned from our sight you could do a "SLAM" (link below) right?. It would've been ideal to start the SLAM at a lower CYA to save you some bleach, but no worries. With the higher CYA, your FC should be 28 until you pass the SLAM. The FC will still try to drop quickly because of the vulnerable FC exposed to the sun's UV and elimination of organic materials. Once the SLAM is complete, the FC will drop fairly soon depending upon amount of sunlight - maybe a couple days or so. Keep in mind the water is perfectly safe to swim as long as the FC doesn't go over 28 (based on the CYA of 70).

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the info. I did shock before i put the stabilizer in, it just seems weird now to be able to swim with the chlorine so high. Now I have to figure out why the water is a little cloudy, will be taking my water over to the pool store to have it tested later tonight. Still need to order myself the test kit.

Please do not buy anything or add anything based on the pool store test results. At least post the results here and we can give you guidance on what to sort of believe and do.

Sorry to say, pool store testing is typically pretty inaccurate. So buyer beware.

Take care.

I went to the store and I am hoping they did a good test. I went to Leslie's and they used all drops to perform the tests, the other pool store i go to used a stick and puts it into the computer, i feel their numbers are usually not accurate.

FAC, TAC 7.5
Salt 2700
CH 90
CYA 45
TA 110
pH 7.4
Phosphates 500

I only purchased stabilizer and put enough in which should bring the pool to 70. They tried selling me about 100 worth of product but figured i would hold off.

I'd probably pull the stabilizer out for now, its easy to go up. Once you get your test kit and the water cleared up then raise it up and start up the SWG. Read through Texas Splash's vital links above, they will get you started down the right path.

I have read through all the info and feel i am on the path to learning.

The pool finally cleared up, may have just taken longer than i would have like...sand filter.

I did not see anything about phosphates unless i missed it, is there info on this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.