Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So - my wife composts. A year or so ago we ate cherries and the cherry pits went into the compost. Fast forward to this spring - now I have cherry trees sprouting from my flower beds.

I'm pulling most of them but somewhat considering leaving one or two to see if they survive over by the pool. It's on the far side of the pool from the house in a flower bed that I wouldn't mind a tree growing in, and no other structures nearby so I'm not worried about roots harming my foundation. It's also behind the house so none of the sewer/drain pipes would be running that way. It is about 12' - 15' from the pool, though. Would the roots be an issue pushing into the pool? Anything else I need to consider? I know that dropping leaves/blossoms/etc. might be a concern, but the area I live in is already pretty wooded and another tree probably wouldn't make a difference.

Thanks!

What about birds other critters eating the cherries, and, well, their poop staining everything. Eww.

I doubt the tree will disturb the pool underground. No water there for it to be attracted to. Unless there is a leak.

I have 4 plums around my pool and leaves are the biggest issue - the roots are not even close. They were there before the pool was dug and we didn't see any roots at all.

What about birds other critters eating the cherries, and, well, their poop staining everything. Eww.

I doubt the tree will disturb the pool underground. No water there for it to be attracted to. Unless there is a leak.
I don’t know that the tree would even fruit, and if it does, that would be years and years.

Here’s where the saplings are growing.
0D255E9F-5480-4F81-81D0-CDA20B4B85D7.jpeg

Can you move one somewhere else? Front yard, perhaps?

It would be very cool if you are able to get a fruit-bearing tree to grow!

Cherry blossoms make SUCH a mess. 😳 we are forever cleaning up the blooms I’d HATE to have it this close to a pool. This was our yard debris bin almost FULL of the blossoms. After picking up only 2 days worth..... It’s like pink snow every where. These trees are not fruit ones.... not sure if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• DE88E805-FC4A-421F-80E5-9118362682CC.jpeg
    DE88E805-FC4A-421F-80E5-9118362682CC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
We have some sort of prunus trees in the driveway, a whole row. Fruits look like cherries, but taste like plums. Very pretty. But in spring, we get tons of blossoms and their pollen into the pool. And later in the year the leaves. The most common wind direction blows them straight into the pool. Every time there is a storm, the pool is a mighty mess.

Netting might be an option. Keeps the birds away from the fruits, and maybe the leaves from the pool.

Cherry blossoms make SUCH a mess. 😳 we are forever cleaning up the blooms I’d HATE to have it this close to a pool. This was our yard debris bin almost FULL of the blossoms. After picking up only 2 days worth..... It’s like pink snow every where. These trees are not fruit ones.... not sure if it makes a difference.
I have a crabapple tree, so flowers dropping in the spring, then the crabapples themselves dropping during August/Sept. then the leaves in the fall. And the flowers and leaves get blown into the pool. I have an acre, and I can't help but wonder who thought it was a good idea to plant such a messy tree not 30' away from a pool. Because the pool was there first. I had to cut down a beautiful young deciduous tree that was planted INSIDE the pool deck area. I love trees, and it makes me sad that I have to cut down a perfectly fine tree because someone else wasn't considering the long term effect of having them so close to the pool. Dont even get me started on the ones planted along the front of the pool, blocking most of the sun during the summer months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have a mulberry near my pool. For about 2 months out of the year when the tree fruits, it is a constant fight with the birds. The go to the tree and eat and then sit on my coping and well, un-eat.

You don’t want any trees near your pool. Someone had planted some sort of willow tree about 8f from my pool before we bought the house. Aside from the leaves, the roots had already begun to crack my concrete pool deck in that area. Two weeks ago I cut the tree down. This past Saturday I spent 5 hours digging up the stump. You don’t ever want to have to dig up a stump… trust me….F2CC5DD1-BA8B-482B-9258-03E0FE24F572.jpeg4948FFCB-BFD4-4484-9FAE-04C009F38510.jpeg48BD719C-EF59-4D66-B716-830C1ED5DF42.jpeg6BB758D7-EB6F-461B-87E9-CFD4B5CFFA4B.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
+1 for the sawzall !!!! No need to expose the root, cut the dirt too and then keep digging once that piece is out.

Milwaukee makes an ‘Axe’ blade that’s 5x thicker and takes a lot more beating before it breaks. 9 out of 10 last until the teeth are gone.

+1 for the sawzall !!!! No need to expose the root, cut the dirt too and then keep digging once that piece is out.

Milwaukee makes an ‘Axe’ blade that’s 5x thicker and takes a lot more beating before it breaks. 9 out of 10 last until the teeth are gone.
Lol, yeah I wore out two sawzall blades.

Reactions: Newdude
You don’t want any trees near your pool. Someone had planted some sort of willow tree about 8f from my pool before we bought the house. Aside from the leaves, the roots had already begun to crack my concrete pool deck in that area. Two weeks ago I cut the tree down. This past Saturday I spent 5 hours digging up the stump. You don’t ever want to have to dig up a stump… trust me….View attachment 371063

I'm not sure the tree is what cracked that slab. That's a tiny tree. It looks like you have a negative pitch back to your house from the point where that crack developed. Based on the above picture I would lean towards a soil instability

I'm not sure the tree is what cracked that slab. That's a tiny tree. It looks like you have a negative pitch back to your house from the point where that crack developed. Based on the above picture I would lean towards a soil instability
I’m sure the tree wasn’t the main suspect in the cracking concrete. The pool was built in the 70s, and the concrete has no rebar or mesh in it at all. As you have pointed out, it is elevated above the shed where the pool equipment is with a decent pitch. The tree was very close to the pool wall and where the pool return and suction lines are buried. I was more concerned with the trees roots breaking those lines and potentially causing damage to the pool wall then the concrete deck. All the concrete has to be replaced at some point… I just have no way to pay for that job right now…

I’m sure the tree wasn’t the main suspect in the cracking concrete. The pool was built in the 70s, and the concrete has no rebar or mesh in it at all. As you have pointed out, it is elevated above the shed where the pool equipment is with a decent pitch. The tree was very close to the pool wall and where the pool return and suction lines are buried. I was more concerned with the trees roots breaking those lines and potentially causing damage to the pool wall then the concrete deck. All the concrete has to be replaced at some point… I just have no way to pay for that job right now…

A willow over any sort of water pipe is never a good idea.

Reactions: Orion7319
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.