Chemical storage.. MA

Erin 36

May 18, 2021
Chesapeake Virginia
I've gone down the rabbit hole and am trying to figure out how to store my MA. The rest of the stuff I think I'm ok on in the garage I know from reading now that garage is a no. I am looking at getting a deck box, but have a Couple of questions.

1. It needs to be well ventilated... But is a deck box or five gallon bucket with a lid (both ideas I have seen searching the forums here) really ventilated?

2. If the deck box idea is OK, can other things like pool toys, goggles, cushions, etc be stored in there too? Or does it need a box all on its own? (I bought 4 jugs thinking I was doing myself a favor but may be better off buying as needed in the future)

4. Storage for MA is supposed to be in a cool area. It gets very hot and humid here. Easily heat gets well into the 90s with heat indexes in the 100s so a plastic container is obviously going to be even hotter.

Thanks in advance and hope some of you have swimming weather this weekend 😜

MA is resilient. I store mine out in the brutal west-side TX heat and it does just fine. I keep it separated from pets and kids in a segregated area. My jugs are in a Rubbermaid type container, then that container is in a small Plastic shed. Do NOT store anything metal with the MA you care about or it will rust. Ask me how I know. :brickwall: I would not keep it in the garage for sure.

Just found this, and my jug of MA is in the garage as we speak. Why is that bad? It is in the original 1 gallon jug, and I've used about 2 cups of it since I bought it a month and a half ago.

Just found this, and my jug of MA is in the garage as we speak. Why is that bad? It is in the original 1 gallon jug, and I've used about 2 cups of it since I bought it a month and a half ago.

No acid bottle or container will be air tight. They all emit a certain amount of fumes. Those fumes contain acid vapors which will corrode anything metallic. I once put a bottle of MA in my garage over winter and forgot it was there for a few weeks (our winters are not long) and it was sitting next to a steel wire rack. That rack has rust all up and down one side … guess which side the MA bottle was closest too?

Store MA outside in a Suncast deck box (or similar product). Store it on its own and away from children and pets. It’s ventilated just fine.

What if my garage is a huge old detached garage that you can literally see all kind of daylight around the garage door? I could also put it in one of those old triclor buckets with the ratcheting lid.

What if my garage is a huge old detached garage that you can literally see all kind of daylight around the garage door? I could also put it in one of those old triclor buckets with the ratcheting lid.
All we can say is store at your own risk. Placing a gallon jog of MA in another container would help, but is it enough over time? We can't say. Before TFP I had some MA in a Tuff Shed with some bikes and within a few months anything metal was rusted. Just be vigilant wherever you store it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.