Chemical storage in the cold?

I won't store any chlorine. I buy it as I need it so whatever is left over will get used for cleaning inside.

Aussieta - what do you mean by not keeping it inside? You mean inside the house? We currently keep it in our little pool house (our little building with the pump, filter, and hot water heater in 1/2 & bathroom in the other). Where do you keep yours?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So...liquid chlorine can stay inside but I shouldn't expect it to be real strong next season. The acid should stay outside. I also have stabilizers, clarifiers, etc...those can come inside or should they just stay out? And the chlorine tabs can come inside but should be kept separate from the liquid. Does that about cover it all?

Thanks for the help!

The miscellaneous chemicals should come inside since they might get damaged by freezing and they shouldn't be harmful stored indoors. As for chlorine of any type, make sure the tops are sealed tightly but note that chlorinating liquid and bleach have pressure-release tops so can expel some chlorine. It's not nearly as harmful as hydrochloric acid, but it can still cause a little corrosion. If you store it in an area that is well ventilated, you should be OK.

Chlorine tabs are OK to stay outdoors -- in general, solid chemicals are OK outdoors as they have no water to freeze.

Thanks for all of the input so far. I have specifics now and just don't want to do anything that isn't safe, so...I have a wooden box with 2 separate compartments, completely sealed from each other. One side has a pull out box, so essentially it's got 2 levels. Both have locking lids, not necessarily totally air-tight.
Here are the chemicals I am bringing in...what should I keep separate and which could go back outside?

4 bottles liquid chlorine...unopened, sealed
2 bottles of powder Chlorine stabilizer (cyanuric acid)...both have been opened but are sealed
2 bottles of PH down, powder...opened
1 bottle of PH plus
1 bottle of alkalinity plus
Also have a tub of chlorine tabs but they are staying outside.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.