Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

trying to balance my water. Here are my current levels:

pH- 7.0
CYA- 30
FC- 0.4
CH- 30
TA-20

I added 4 lbs stabilizer and 166 oz of 10% liquid chlorine to get started. What are my next steps? how long should I wait to add the rest of my chemicals? I know it’s ~10 minutes but should I retest my levels before adjusting..? Thanks for your help.

Is your water crystal clear? No cloudiness or signs of algae? If not, then continue getting the CYA closer to 70 and monitor your SWG's output% setting and/or pump run time to ensure you generate the required FC each day as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Until you get the SWG dialed-in, continue to add chlorine manually to avoid algae. Never let the FC fall below 3 ppm.

At the same time, add enough baking soda to increase your TA to about 60. No need to wait on any of those items. You can do them all right away.

Is your water crystal clear? No cloudiness or signs of algae? If not, then continue getting the CYA closer to 70 and monitor your SWG's output% setting and/or pump run time to ensure you generate the required FC each day as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Until you get the SWG dialed-in, continue to add chlorine manually to avoid algae. Never let the FC fall below 3 ppm.

At the same time, add enough baking soda to increase your TA to about 60. No need to wait on any of those items. You can do them all right away.

hmmm, I thought I couldn’t turn my SWG on until My water Is balanced. Is that wrong? We’re brand new pool owners and this is the first time I’ve ever tried to balance water.

Yes of course. There's a 24-hour rule that applies to allow the salt time to dissolve and acclimate thoroughly in the water. So if that hasn't happened yet, sure, make sure to add chlorine manually until you turn on the SWG. Hope that helps.

This may be a dumb question... I’m using salt INSTEAD of bleach with my SWG right?? So if I just added bleach should I go ahead and add salt, too? Just add the recommended amount and let that dissolve then let the SWG do its thing? I’m such a novice lol 🤦🏻‍♀️

The salt and bleach are two different things really, but used to get the same result. Right now you should have the salt dumped-in and dissolving (SWG off). Until your salt is dissolved (24 hrs), the liquid chlorine/bleach is your "Free Chlorine" - pour slowly near the return jets. Once you start the SWG, it will create chlorine "gas" to increase your FC level. Make sense?

Reactions: ah1017
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.