chemical refills and compatibilty

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
I have a Leslie's/taylor kit I picked up from leslies. I am running really low on chemicals and don't think id get them until much later next week if I order from TF. My local leslie's has the chemicals I need, but some are in larger bottles .75oz vs 2oz. The 2oz bottles are a much better deal. If I pick up the 2oz bottles, can I use them with my test kit or should I pour the contents into the old .75oz bottle? I am not sure if the dropper orifice is larger or smaller in the larger 2oz bottles. Eventually I will just get a tf test kit and be better about keeping up with chemicals and just order refills straight from them to keep it all the same.

if it makes a difference, the chemicals (all in .75oz bottles currently) I am low on are:

Taylor R-0001 DPD Reagent #1 (Leslies has it in 2oz)
Taylor R-0002 DPD Reagent #2 (Leslies has it in 2oz)
Taylor R-0009 Sulfuric Acid .12N (Leslies has it in 2oz)
Taylor R-0014 pH Indicator Solution, Phenol Red (Leslies has it in .75oz only)

Thank you

Bottle size will not matter. Age of the reagent might be an issue. Check dates on the bottles.

The bigger question is why are you getting R-0001 and R-0002. You should be testing chlorine with 870 and 871

my test kit uses 5 drops of r0001 and 5 drops of r0002 to test FC, it is a taylor k2005 kit.

now that my cya is under control, I use the color match to test my daily chlorine and pH levels. it only goes up to 5, but my fc is low enough (2-3) when I test. I just add whats needed to bring it up to 6 and call it good.

I do have the fas dpd test for higher chlorine levels.

Thats not really a best practice, the FAS DPD test is the gold standard for measuring. Also not sure what your CYA is but letting your FC drop to 2 is probably a recipe for algae.

Thats not really a best practice, the FAS DPD test is the gold standard for measuring. Also not sure what your CYA is but letting your FC drop to 2 is probably a recipe for algae.

Pool math says 6 is ideal, 24 hours after bringing up to level, it's at 2-3 ppm. I'd have to be over chlorinating or dosing twice a day. I'm sure once I hit the summer sun again in Texas I'll add more to compensate, but seems ok for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.